What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 with step

hoyden

Well Known Member
I have an RV-9 kit on order. I received email from Van's saying the step can't be used with the -9 because it will hang down too low. I thought I had seen RV-6 and RV-9 with steps. I'm flying an RV-6 I've owned for 21 years and the step up to the wing is getting harder in my old age. I thought the step might help.

My RV-6 has steps that I shortened 3". This puts the step about half-way between the trailing edge and ground which works well and looks correct.

My 9 has steps on both sides! Use them EVERY time in and out. They were already installed when I bought the project . Only maintenance was the right one cracked same as others have done. It was repair welded with the recommended gusset. I don't think mine were ever shortened. You know that the 9 main gear legs are longer that the 9A . Mine has operated off a grass strip all of its 800 hrs. Sure does make the step into and out of much better for me.

If you like I will make a pic next time at the Hgr PM me

Last edited:
With the steps that close to the ground, if you pancake a landing at heavy weight, the gear could spread enough to let the step make contact with the surface. That's not going to be a good sound.

With the steps that close to the ground, if you pancake a landing at heavy weight, the gear could spread enough to let the step make contact with the surface. That's not going to be a good sound.

The shortened steps are about the same height from the ground as they would be on a -A model. If the steps on my RV-6 hit the ground the prop will have already been trashed.....

Last edited:

But I very rarely carry 32 gal of fuel in the outboard fuel tanks. :D

I'll bet that the guy who builds the steps would build you a shorter one; saving you the metal surgery.

Steps

I have a 9 i originally started building as a 9a. The steps had been installed prior to the change. I find the steps very useful at the standard height. No need to shorten. I cant imagine landing that hard to bottom out the steps. In fact i would use them again on a new build.

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's sharing their perspective. I notified Vans I'm keeping the step. The upside to flying my RV-6 now is that I can make better choices when I start building my RV-9. I don't have to wonder if the step will work.

Drink more beer! Van's needs the aluminum.

I put full length steps on my RV7 after I had a friend take a spill off the right wing. I'm told the factory had a RV7a that they converted to a taildragger RV7 and left the steps, full length, in place.

I've flown several hundred hours with the full length steps,often on grass, with no issues. Running a string from the bottom of the step to under the tailwheel, the bottom mounted com antenna and the step would touch at about the same time, if high centered (like going over a pronounced hump or taxiing through a ditch).

I have a 9 i originally started building as a 9a. The steps had been installed prior to the change. I find the steps very useful at the standard height. No need to shorten. I cant imagine landing that hard to bottom out the steps. In fact i would use them again on a new build.

Same here, mine started out as a 9A with steps. When I purchased the project I finished out as a 9 with the Vans P/N conversion kit. The surprise for me was that it needed new longer main gear legs, no mention of the steps. And now with 800 + hours later I see no reason to shorten them.

Back