What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Line BAD??

rkiefer2

Well Known Member
While in process of replacing my floats I was inspecting my hoses and noticed the following the fuel line off the mechanical fuel pump on my 2013 RV-12 912ULS (400hours):

1. Clamp penetrated orange jacket (looks common from others pictures)
2. Hose feels like it’s not perfectly secure at fitting off of mechanical fuel pump…meaning it feels like part of the wall possibly broke down in the hose.

Anyone experienced this?

Replace?

https://youtube.com/shorts/y_IdgxUyDew?feature=share

While in process of replacing my floats I was inspecting my hoses and noticed the following the fuel line off the mechanical fuel pump on my 2013 RV-12 912ULS (400hours):

1. Clamp penetrated orange jacket (looks common from others pictures)
2. Hose feels like it’s not perfectly secure at fitting off of mechanical fuel pump…meaning it feels like part of the wall possibly broke down in the hose.

Anyone experienced this?

Replace?

https://youtube.com/shorts/y_IdgxUyDew?feature=share

Roger,

Take a look at this page

http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv-12.html

Click on the "Conductive Teflon Fuel hose replacement kit"

A window will pop up. On the lower left corner is a pdf link that says "What kind of hoses do I have." If you click on that it'll show you more information on the different fuel systems that have existed on RV12s. Your line will look like the line on page 2 where the firesleeve is pulled back. I would definitely give it a closer look. If the rubber hoses are nearly 10 years old, they are on borrowed time.

Steve

P.S. Since yours is an SLSA, you're going to have to check with VANS to see what the hose replacement option is for it. The hose kits we provide for the RV-12 are currently only for EAB and ELSA aircraft.

Last edited:
Inspect/replace

Have the rubber hoses been replaced at 5 years?
It would be worth directly inspecting the end of the fuel hose after pulling back the fire sleeve. It's easy enough to replace, for safety and peace of mind, since it's an important one!

Roger has rubber hose under the firesleeve. The fittings in the fuel pump and the fuel block are barbed. Hoses should have been changed at the 5 year mark per Rotax.

Tom

The original fuel pumps had these kinds of fittings.

i-3SZTZdJ-M.jpg

When I think of "barbed", I think of something more aggressive.

Had the Same Fuel Line Problem

My RV-12 was ELSA, so I was able to replace them with with the much better lines from AC Specialty. That connection was beginning to leak, and my original hoses were only 1 year old...

Fuel line

Roger,

I don’t fly a -12 but why not just replace the fuel line? Cheap insurance since you can’t pull over to the side of the road if you have engine trouble. Granted this is not a cheap hobby but one fuel line won’t break the bank. As others have said above maybe it’s time to replace all the firewall forward hoses.

Back