What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step kit 6/7 etc.

BH1166

Well Known Member
No steps on my 6A ..... the step up will become a challenge as I mature:) See the kit to add is $100 , but no access to the installation documents. Anyone have this specific installation instruction for adding after the fact ? I have thumb drive with plans, but would like to see the instructions shipped with add on kit. Thanks

I probably have them buried somewhere, but the install is pretty straightforward. Basically cut a hole in the side, rivet the step flange to the skin and baggage side former, bolt the UHMW block to the baggage floor rib. The key lies in getting the hole in the right spot.

The RV-7s I think came with a pre-punched pilot hole in the side skin.

Last edited:
On my 7A quick build, the fuselage did come with a pre-punched hole for the steps. On the outer rivet flange, on the step itself, the second vertical row of holes lined up with the rivet line on a vertical stiffener located between the bulkhead behind the seats and in front of the closeout bulkhead in the baggage area. The mounting tube passed through the hole in the skin, one floor rib, and was attached to the next one in with the block.

I would think the 6A would be similar in mounting. PM me for some pics, if you want. I don't have a hosting sight, but could email the pics to you if you PM me your address.

Roberta

The -6A is a bit different I think.
The mounting plate needs to be trimmed and contoured to the fuselage.

Those pics are Great!! Pretty much exactly what I did on my 7A. I also needed to trim the corner off the rivet plate. The bend was too severe to conform with the fuselage. That should help you greatly, Butch.

Roberta:)

Back