What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh chairs

Latech15

Well Known Member
I?m flying up commercial this year. My first trip to the big show. Should I plan to bring a fold up chair? I can probably get a small enough one to pack in a checked bag but didn?t know if it would be suggested. Not excited about carrying it around all day, as I understand it, parking is a long way from the show, but walking all day with no where to sit for the stol comp etc would suck.

A chair and more. For a price.

EAA

The Aviators Club is your place to relax, chill, chow down, and watch the air show from the best seats around.

Open Monday through Saturday during AirVenture, it's an air conditioned oasis that's your home base while experiencing aviation. Enjoy daily visits with some of the week's air show performers and special guests. You can come and go as you please.

The Aviators Club, located on the flight line at the corner of Wittman Road and Waukau Avenue, is available only to EAA members and their guests.

It's a great way to take your AirVenture experience to a new level.

Other options include sitting on the grass.

Finding an orphaned chair within the venue.

Sitting on a vacant golf cart seat.

Carrying in a chair.

Standing.

Walked around with two of these these chairs from REI in a small backpack all day (which also for under any airline seat). They are on the bigger side as far as lightweight, portable chairs go and weren't much of a problem. You could go even smaller and lighter if you want. Spencer Aircraft (and I'm sure several others) are selling similar items if you're in the market for one. Didn't really have much trouble finding anywhere to sit though.

Flea market

I think the vendors in the Flea Market sell chairs. I usually leave mine at the place I want to watch the airshow. It's always there when I go back. Even overnight.

Lost mine

I used to think you could leave stuff unattended. My last trip I left a never sat on chair and my water bottle on my chair at a forum as I was attending the next forum in that venue. Chair and bottle were gone when I got back. Sure was a sad day for me at AirVenture.

If you get a insurance quote at the show from BWI, I think they are in building A. They will give you a nice fold up chair. But I must confess, I carried it around all day and never used it.

I have to say it is easy to choke on the price of the Aviators Club but once you've tried it, you do get spoiled. Breakfast and lunch are included as well as soft drinks and water and ice cream and snacks all day long. A choice seat in a patio setting on the flight line and an air conditioned pavilion to rest in if the weather is really hot. Yes, you can buy cheaper food and it may not seem like a good deal until you have tried it. Did it last year for the first time and we have our tickets for Thursday this year. I'm getting too old to trudge around a chair and sit in the hot sun. We have breakfast and head out to the exhibits and planes. After lunch we sit in the patio and watch the demos and airshow. It is a very pleasant airshow experience.

Roberta:)

When I went last year there were times where I really wish I had one but we just sat on the grass for the airshow, every other time you will be walking.

I picked up a folding stool on Amazon that only weighs one lb.

Will have to wait for SnF to use it, thanks to crappy WX and expected in-rush of planes afterward.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of Kelty equipment and in addition to a great tent (Gunnison 2), I also have their Linger Get Down Chair. Inexpensive, no...but light, and the whole thing collapses into a zip up bag that is easy to pack or carry. The only negative is that getting out of it without falling on your you-know-what requires some practice, but it is very comfortable to sit in.

See https://www.kelty.com/linger-get-down-chair for more info.

I found some helinox chairs at then cabelas. They fold up really small and are very comfortable. Been just carrying them all day thus far, but I?ll be using them for the stol demo this evening.

+1 for helinox chair

Spencer seat is a Chinese knock-off of the helinox chair and my buddy's has broken twice in 2 years. The helinox is light comfortable and robust https://www.helinox.com/outdoor/chairs, and has a pack with a shoulder strap that is easy to carry around.
YMMV
Figs

Stow Your Chairs

I have made some connections with some of the folks that work in the various booths and tents near the flight line. If I ask nice, they have always let me stow my folding chairs in/around their booth/tent after arriving at the show. Just pick them up when you want to sit down. You can also leave them laying on the ground out of the way in the viewing area. I have never heard about theft except in this thread.

Back