What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cooling fans

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Exciting day - powered up for the first time !

The two fans on the base of the sub panel - anyone know if they are designed to run all the time, or only when the Skyview fans run ?

Everything else looks OK, but those fans aren't running.

They should turn on with the Master Switch, but if you have the 5A fuel pump fuse removed, they won't run (same circuit).

Hmmm - just tried it and yep, that's it !

Bizarre. Should really have a switch on the pump :rolleyes:

Thinking cap on for an attractive solution.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Thanks, will look. Airplane 1 is nearly done, Airplane 2 is waiting avionics so is easier to modify..

Where?

I've been thinking I need fans for my avionics. Just curious, can you guys expound on where these fans are and their configuration please? Imitation you know. Thanks!

There is a very specific reason the fuel pump is not on a switch.
I strongly suggest you fully understand that before adding one.

Mani, the avionics bay on the RV-12 is completely enclosed. The bottom is not open like many other aircraft. The two fans are mounted on the bottom of the avionics bay. One fan blows in and the other blows out.

There is a very specific reason the fuel pump is not on a switch.
I strongly suggest you fully understand that before adding one.

Thanks Scott, I can understand the safety case behind it, I also see that most 12 owners regularly pull the fuse to stop the noise ;)

It is either make a neat lanyard for the pump fuse and an enlarged 'knob' or install a switch prominently marked next to the start switches.

Thanks all for feedback, most helpful.

Thanks Scott, I can understand the safety case behind it, I also see that most 12 owners regularly pull the fuse to stop the noise ;)

It is either make a neat lanyard for the pump fuse and an enlarged 'knob' or install a switch prominently marked next to the start switches.

Thanks all for feedback, most helpful.

An ?Aux Fuel Pump Switch? is great for on ground work such as regular software updates etc. or when running fuel transfer pump from aux fuel tank (at altitude)....but i?d Keep the aux fuel pump running @ all other times.

Looking at a red light next to switch when pump OFF. Switch will be matching Otto switch just above ignition switches.

You can only protect so much from dumbness :D

Looking at a red light next to switch when pump OFF. Switch will be matching Otto switch just above ignition switches.

You can only protect so much from dumbness :D

To guard against dumbness/forgetfulness and make fuel pump fuse almost foolproof... anytime I remove the fuse, I tape it to the pilot control stick. No switch or light to look at. I think I would notice the fuse even with winter gloves on.
-
23rv1ux.png

If you don't have Nav lights the Nav light circuit works great for the fuel pump. I did mine that way about 5 years ago and haven't regretted it. I took the old fuel pump power and put it to a new 14VDC socket that I installed on the ELT antenna bracket and took the unused Nav light power lead and ran it to the electric fuel pump. Then I relabeled the Nav light switch and fuse. It brought my standard operating procedures more in line with my Cherokee. Another thing I like is that if I do experience vapor lock I can turn on the pump. I run it routinely for takeoff, landing and during climb out on hot days in Phoenix, but most of the time it's off. The major reason I did it was that I was afraid the mechanical pump might fail and I would not know until the electric pump failed and the engine quit. I understand Scott's logic, and I just think the risks on my approach are less. You know what they say about opinions.

I believe that the statement is -

Opinions vary..... :D

Sadly, we have the new led lighting which has power supplied down elve's hair wiring ;)

Like the thought process though.

My buddy has come up with a shrink wrapped lump containing 'things electronic' that power a warning light without too much smoke.

Mani, the avionics bay on the RV-12 is completely enclosed. The bottom is not open like many other aircraft. The two fans are mounted on the bottom of the avionics bay. One fan blows in and the other blows out.

Thanks Mich!

Back