What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop governor blank cover

boom3

Well Known Member
I've struggled over the years with oil leaks with this cover. I'm guessing the stud and nut size were engineered to mount the governor not just a cover. So my question is what should I torque the nuts at? I'm guessing I'm either under torquing or over torquing it.

It must be me because I've tried a new cover and numerous gaskets.

Thanks!

cover2.jpg

Maybe clean everything off real well and put the cover in place by hand to check for a rock of the cover against the adapter or the length of the studs, maybe to long and the nut bottoming out on the stud when torquing? Some times it is the adapter to engine gasket leaking for the same reason and blows back onto the the gov or plate? Just a thought.

Studs

Ive been there, was oil leaking out of the studs/nuts/holes in cover.
I think one or more studs goes thru the block, try removing them, goop up with sealant or gasket maker, then seal the treads/holes.
I also sanded the cover flat on a piece of glass, lapped it flat, that helped also.

I think one or more studs goes thru the block, try removing them, goop up with sealant or gasket maker, then seal the treads/holes.
I also sanded the cover flat on a piece of glass, lapped it flat, that helped also.

Great advice Bob! This could very well be my issue.

Maybe clean everything off real well and put the cover in place by hand to check for a rock of the cover against the adapter or the length of the studs, maybe to long and the nut bottoming out on the stud when torquing? Some times it is the adapter to engine gasket leaking for the same reason and blows back onto the the gov or plate? Just a thought.

Thanks Larry. The adapter to engine gasket looks pretty good and I'm thinking it's just the cover. (I only say that because the leak has gone away for awhile in times past and I've only ever messed with the cover.) I may get rid of the adapter all together and just put a blank directly on the engine. (My engine came all set up for a constant speed but I went fixed pitch. So I have the adapter and the hardline that runs to the front of the engine, none of which is necessary now.)

Apparently I had the same problem. When the local engine shop test ran my engine the notes so they had to stop mid-test and fix a leak on the plate due to it being warped.

Cost me a little extra $$ since I had assembled the accessory case area.

If you do eliminate the adapter remember to remove the prop and punch a hole in the rear crank plug?

Back