What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aero led lights

stamper

Well Known Member
Can anyone out there that is using the Aeroled landing and taxi like in the wing along with the VPX pro chime in on how they ran the wires. I was thinking that both lights can be ground right at the wing tip with the positive wire going up to the Dash and wired into the VPX for wig wag. Or does the one light need its ground run to the other light tied into its ground wire and then ground at that wing tip?

Can anyone out there that is using the Aeroled landing and taxi like in the wing along with the VPX pro chime in on how they ran the wires. I was thinking that both lights can be ground right at the wing tip with the positive wire going up to the Dash and wired into the VPX for wig wag. Or does the one light need its ground run to the other light tied into its ground wire and then ground at that wing tip?

I don't have AeroLED landing lights, but I do have their position/strobe lights and a VPX.

If you are intending for the VPX to control wig-wag, that each light must be independently wired to the VPX on it's own circuit. Grounding is a religious subject and can be grounded locally or back to your common ground point based upon your personal preference.

The AeroLED documentation shows grounding at the air-frame, close to the light, and back to the central ground near the battery. Same for the shielding, which is atypical to most wire guidance.

Aeroled landing/wigwag wiring

I have the same setup with aeroled and VP-X. Stein advised not to use VP-X wig wag but do it per Aeroled documentation. Also no shielding and ground locally. The shielding is on the nav strobe wiring with rather confusing info on grounding.

Aeroled wiring

Stamper, I have the exact same configuration as you. I ran 3 conductor shielded (#20awg I believe) from the VPX pro(under the right side of the panel)to each wing tip and the tail. The lights were grounded locally with as short a lead as possible (as per Dean), and then also the shield was grounded at each end (again as per the wiring diagram from Dean). I also separated the 3 conductor from the other wing wiring and ran it just in front of the rear wing spar to the tips. The tail wire was separated as much as possible but ultimately you can't help but have it close to some tail mounted equipment.
I have completed the G3X set up and have passed the interference testing per Garmin, although I haven't test flown the aircraft yet. That will happen when I return from my winter sojourn ;-)
Rick
Southampton, Ont

Aeroled wiring

Stamper, oops just realized you were talking about the landing light etc. Sorry did not use the Aeroled light. Hope my explanation helps someone :)
Rick

I have the VPx pro and am wiring for Aero Sun-vx, decided to forego VPx control of wag and let Aero do it manually. I do like the feature of Vspeed flashing but for me I'm putting lights on ess buss so I found it simpler to wire for manual operation. Fwiw

I have the Aerosun VX combined landing and taxi lights.

There are 5 wires on each light. 2 of the wires are for their internal wigwag function which I did not use.

I ran the power wire from each landing light to a separate power pin on my VPX. Having 2 power pins for the landing lights allows using the wigwag function in the VPX.

I ran the two taxi light power wires to a single VPX power pin

3 VPX power pins total.

Each light was grounded separately at each of the wingtips.

I set up two switches in the VPX, one for the landing light power and one for taxi light power. The landing light switch setup turns on the power for both landing light power pins.

If you read some of the Bob Knuckles AeroElectric Connection files, you can find a way to use only one physical switch to control both taxi and landing lights. I have a 3 way switch where down is off, middle is taxi, and up is both landing and taxi.

The VPX is programmed to start wigwag at 100 knots.

Thanks everyone. I got the wings on for the final time a couple days ago so know I can finish the wirring. Hope to start the plane the end of March foe the first time

I have the Aerosun VX combined landing and taxi lights.

There are 5 wires on each light. 2 of the wires are for their internal wigwag function which I did not use.

I ran the power wire from each landing light to a separate power pin on my VPX. Having 2 power pins for the landing lights allows using the wigwag function in the VPX.

I ran the two taxi light power wires to a single VPX power pin

3 VPX power pins total.

Each light was grounded separately at each of the wingtips.

I set up two switches in the VPX, one for the landing light power and one for taxi light power. The landing light switch setup turns on the power for both landing light power pins.

If you read some of the Bob Knuckles AeroElectric Connection files, you can find a way to use only one physical switch to control both taxi and landing lights. I have a 3 way switch where down is off, middle is taxi, and up is both landing and taxi.

The VPX is programmed to start wigwag at 100 knots.

After thinking about this I decided to rethink this and decided to use the VPx wig wag and also use the dpdt switch, down taxi, middle off, up for land. I'm adding lights to the emergency buss and have Schottky diodes for isolating VPx pins with e-buss where they tie together. Thanks for the inspiration!

Back