What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fried my starter

Dave H.

My starter apparently remained engaged after startup and I didn't detect it. No funny noise (yet!). The volts were a little low but not too bad and the alternator passed the run up test (that should have got my attention). Best I can tell the solenoid (Vans ES 24021, only months old) stuck closed. It was closed when I tested it after, and snapped open when I tapped it with a screwdriver.

At any rate, I want to rig up a light to warn of this in the future. It would be simple to run a fused wire from the solenoid to a light on the panel.

Has this been done? Is it a good strategy?

Best,
Dave
RV-6a

Starter Light

Michael,

Great idea. Have Rocket to, and would love to put another idiot light on my SkyView? Also have SkyTec starter, so how did you detect that the starter is still engaged? Micro switch, or are you reading starter voltage after the solenoid?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Last edited:
this happened to the guy behind my hangar a couple of months ago on RV-7. he caught it before takeoff and came back. it was the solenoid.

I also have a starter engaged warning light on my panel and carry a spare solenoid.

... and a horn!

I have a warning light on my Rocket + a horn, with a defeat switch, that gets my attention if I forget to look at the panel.

The only "out of limit" condition I have ever had flying an RV (26+ years), I was notified by the horn - never saw the light until the horn told me to look for something not right. Get a horn - JMO.

HFS
HR II S/N 002

Michael,

Great idea. Have Rocket to, and would love to put another idiot light on my SkyView? Also have SkyTec starter, so how did you detect that the starter is still engaged? Micro switch, or are you reading starter voltage after the solenoid?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

I'm just looking for voltage to the starter motor.

Had the same thing happen on my Cessna. Flew for about 20 minutes until I smelled something burning and the radios started to die. Made the airport safely and when I pulled off my headphones I could hear it screaming. Killed the master and the solenoid let go. Now in preflight I cycle the master. My IA warned me not to change the starter without changing the solenoid - strange how 40+ years in GA gives you this insight.

simple LED light above key switch

I just had a red LED light above my key switch that detected 12 volts at the starter solenoid. Never had a problem but it was nice to have an indicator.

Back