What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AP Advice/Help Please

AndyRV7

Well Known Member
I got around to sizing up the job of installing my Gemini AP this weekend. I had a Pictorial Pilot in the plane already so the roll servo and some of the other connections were already taken care of.

The builder had told me he had installed the pitch servo bracket (the way I remember it anyway). It turns out, he did not. So I hadn't even considered this part of the project when I was rehearsing the workflow in my mind. So I have a couple questions.

The bracket is made to rivet to the bell crank side of the "support" (longeron??:eek::eek::eek:) on the belly of the tail section. But the angle that is riveted to the top of that piece is on the same side as the flange and rivets (see pic). So it looks like there is no simple way to use those rivets now. I've seen other people with the same set-up but I can't tell how they mounted the bracket??

AP1_zpsdwa5izqp.jpg

A little more info. The builder left one of the holes in the angle piece near the bell crank without a rivet. He also chose to bolt the 3 adjacent rivet holes I presume so the owner wouldn't have to drill out rivets to install the bracket in the future.

AP2_zps7k0hyuyq.jpg

I guess this should make for an easier install, and in hindsight, there probably was no way to install a bracket during the build without knowing what AP would be used in the future.

I have a rivet squeezer and some gauges but no experience whatsoever. I am tempted to just have someone do the install for me, but I would love to hear any advice on the job, so I can learn what from it anyway.

I am in NJ. Does anyone have any suggestions for a RV friendly avionics shop in the area? I guess my range in about as far as Florida. Any other advice?

Thanks!! Andy

Oh, and while I am at it, can anyone tell me what this unit is? It is mounted in the tail section and hangs down on a small shelf/bracket. Thanks!!

unit_zpsfzszvibl.jpg

I'm not sure about the TruTrak servos, but I heard they are very similar installation wise to the Dynon units. Maybe you can google search for your specific units installation manual.

Here is a link that has the Dynon installation drawings that may at least give you an idea about the installation plan. You can see how the bracket mounts to the bellcrank support bulkhead.

Scroll down to the middle of the page.

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/support_documentation.html

The photo of the black box looks like a magnetometer or ADAHRS unit for the EFIS.

Good luck.

If you are no rivet expert, there is no reason why you could not just use those screws (if they are long enough) to mount the bracket to the angle.

The lower side of the bracket needs to be riveted to the bottom skin. You could use good pulled rivets for that if you are more comfortable with using them.

Pic from the poster above's build log:

FP21062007A00005.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, did you use any rivets on the belly skin flange? I can't tell from either of those pics. Thanks!

OOPS! Thanks Brantel!

Yep, I did use standard rivets on the bottom skin, and l also think pull rivets would be fine.

Michael

Not just any old screw or pull rivets . . .

Let's be clear for the new guy.

Since this is a structural area of the airframe, Cherry Max rivets would be in order for the "pull rivets" AND use aviation structural screws. That means the shank has no threads for the portion that goes through the metal. That way, they carry the shear loads. Look these up at General Aviation Hardware.

GAH has some of the best technical references I have seen.

Back