What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I Replace Brake Pads Without...

Dave H.

...Opening the brake line?
Splitting the caliper?
Removing the wheel?
Removing the wheelpant mounting plate from the axle end?
Etc?

I have the skill to do all the above but I want to know what I'm getting myself into before I start. These are the Cleveland 30-9 brakes.

I've done a lot of auto disk brakes, including rivet work, but never an aircraft. Advice?

Thanks!
Dave
RV-6A

None of the things you mentioned are needed. Just pull the two long bolts that hold the outer pressure plate to the brake housing. Grab and remove the outer pressure plate. Slide the brake housing and inner pressure plate off the two pins. Use safety wire or something to support the brake housing so it doesn'y hang by just the brake line. Remove and replace the pads, dry lube the pins, reverse procedure to reinstall.

Sealer

Thanks for the encouragement Bob, I will start in to it on Monday.

Related:

Recommendations for dry-lube?

Recommendations for thread sealer in case I do need to undo a threaded brake line fitting? Locktite?

Best,
Dave
RV-6A

Sounds like you would benefit from finding someone local to oversee your work, even "simple" mistakes can have serious consequences.

Have a set of O-rings handy. You sometimes find them leaking, especially if you have worn down the pads too thin. You might be able to just push the piston back in without changing the o-ring, but they are cheap to replace.

If they don't leak, you don't have to replace the o-rings, but like was already said, if the pistons have extended too far are are dirty, there is a good chance the o-rings will start to leak.

Unless

Have a set of O-rings handy. You sometimes find them leaking, especially if you have worn down the pads too thin. You might be able to just push the piston back in without changing the o-ring, but they are cheap to replace.

Cheap to replace, unless you put the piston back in wrong, then it can get really expensive.

Back