What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One year after the accident...

Chuck Hagerty

Well Known Member
Oh what a difference a year makes! Last year on June 15, 2013 I bounced a landing and flipped my RV-7A at KAOO in Altoona, PA. Five months later on November 14, 2013 I posted my ?You know it?s a bad Landing when you?re upside down? thread. What a response?everyone couldn?t have been more understanding and I sincerely appreciated your kind words and well wishes. And more than that, there was so much good advice from many of you who responded that I?m sure your information was beneficial to a whole lot of readers on this site (including myself).

After five months of not driving and nine months of not working, I?m happy to say that things are finally starting to get back to normal. Today is June 15, 2014 and yesterday I was over at the airport washing my plane when I got one of the guys to take some pictures.

Royal Aircraft Services in Hagerstown, MD did the repairs on the plane and she was brought back to me on February 1, 2014. Several weeks later, on March 22, 2014, I got my CFI friend, Ricky Franklin, to go up with me for the first flight since the accident. It was pretty windy so although I took off and flew the plane for almost an hour, I let Ricky do that first landing. The next two times we flew together, my confidence was returning and each time the touch and go?s were smoother.

The plane flies great and except for me thinking I did a little better job on the canopy when I originally built it, I?m pleased with the repair work. I?m also pleased with the Anti Splat Aero device that I installed on the front gear leg. I?ve not noticed any difference in handling and I feel more confident with the added strength that this brace provides. Thanks Allen for an impressive after marker product.

I loved Paul Dye?s most recent editorial entitled ?Accepting the risk.? In it he said, ?Frankly, we all need to admit that flying itself is not, and never will be, safe.? He then goes on to expound the several ways that we should all actively work to mitigate those risks under our control. Thanks Paul for putting into intelligent words some of the reasons that I still fly. And thanks, as always, to Doug for this great site.

Here are a few of those pictures we took yesterday.

I especially liked the shadow on this one

I know, I know the next job is to get those wheel pants and fairings on, but I think that project will have to wait for winter.

Good deal

Very glad you got back on that horse. It takes a lot of courage and you should be commended.

For what's its worth, I would strongly recommend you put the nose gear fairing on before next flight.

Cj

Thanks for sharing the story Chuck.
I recently got done installing a few of Allan?s products upfront. (Anti-Splat, Lip Skid, Nose wheel bearing). I noticed your wheel swivel stop is installed 180 degrees of what I usually see. Was there a reason you installed the swivel stop facing the rear? Is this a Vans change or do I have my swivel stop on backwards?

Best of luck.

Charles David Hagerty ? West Chester, PA

Chuck,

Congrats on getting back in the saddle. Also a belated thanks for your original candid post. A lot of folks wouldn't have owned up to it. I missed it the first time, and went and read the whole thread just now. A lot of thought provoking discussion and advice there, and I've got it marked and will re-read it before I start flying my project. Glad to see you're doing better.

Dale

Good catch...

Thanks for pointing out that swivel stop Dave and Steve. This front wheel and it's accompanying gear, were done by my friends at Royal and I'll have to point that out to them next time we talk.

It felt odd having someone else work on my plane and when I first got it back I tried to take Walt's advice and go over everything with a fine tooth comb and a wrench. I did not compare everything to plans, however, and didn't pay too much attention to that stop.

My Forced Landing July 4th, 2013

Last year I had a forced landing from very low altitude and I damaged my propeller and my left wheel cover. After changing my propeller hub design and tested it. I am back flying again. The first flight was so stressful that I could only make two take offs and two landings and then I put it back in the hangar. Each day after that I flew it for more and more hours. Now I have 15 hours on it since the forced landing and I feel better but I'm still a little uneasy. Each time gets a little easier but I'm stll looking at the motor real close for anything that can go wrong.
I was very upset when I damaged my aircraft, I kept replaying it in my head but what was done I could not change. I refused to through out my Craig Cato propeller so I learned how to vacuum bag epoxy parts and repaired it myself. I'm still working on the left wheel cover, it was broken is several pieces.
When one damages their aircraft it can be real traumatizing.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing it all ! I have been on my back twice now. Once on fire, once just from engine failure. (not in RV's)
I have all Allens after market parts on my 9A. I love the way the plane lands and I imagine that I am competent. BUT, it can all change in a hearbeat.
I admire your drive to stick with it and keep flying. Thanks to Doug for reminding us all, on the front page.... what is important. I think the sharing, everything from technical to life experience stories is so valuable. Thanks guys.

A very remarkable story. Thanks for sharing.

?Frankly, we all need to admit that flying itself is not, and never will be, safe.?

Indeed.

Competence at the subconscious level will bring much confidence.

Chuck glad you are safe and back flying
Honestly, I'm not sure i would have the moxie to get back in the plane

I used to be a rock climber and always trusted the people i climbed with. I never thought anyone would drop me and finally got that to stick in my head. One day a belayer of mine did drop me. 60 Feet to the deck. I was not injured but could never find the stones to climb again and ever trust the guy on the other end of the rope.

Im glad you found your way back. Get as much time as you can. It always amazes me the people i meet with 40 hours of total time and 1 hour of RV make and model time and get in there plane for a first flight. Not only are you in a new type of plane there are so many things that could give you trouble requiring your attention who knows what will happen.
Train train train train train. I am hoping to have at least 20-40 hours RV time before a first flight and at least a few hundred tail wheel hours

Thanks for the inspiration

I'm in the same boat right now, except I didn't flip and no medical issues. Story is described elsewhere on the forum since I did it at Oshkosh of all places.

I've only flown dual since the incident in a Cherokee and I've got a little ride coming up with the FAA Inspector. Shouldn't be an issue, but getting up afterwards took some "thought".

Oddly enough, my lady friend who was passenger for the incident has been going gangbusters on her PPL and will likely solo this week or next. How's that for irony?

My engine is getting the tear down inspection and the parts are on the way so maybe 6-8 weeks and I can bring her home.

Glad your back up flying... and I will be soon...

Stay safe.

Thanks for the book

Chuck, I just wanted to say what an inspiration you are to a lot of people. I'm over halfway through your book Inverted: Looking Back on Walking Away and am amazed at what you overcame, both emotionally and physically. You must be one tough dude! :)

I bought the book because of Doug's mention of it last week on the VAF front page.

Thanks so much for the effort required to write it.

Chuck,

I was inspired by your story and bought your book which I just finished yesterday. It's a great read and should be mandatory for all RV pilots. More than just an "aviation" book, it is a tale of struggle, courage, and hope. Glad you are back flying!!

incidents and FAA follow up

Rob,
I might digress from the main topic here for a moment....
The 709 ride can be stressful, if you let it.
Most pilots have never even heard of one, let alone have to do it.
It is unlike driving a car where the FAA needs probable cause. They can request a 709 ride or oral exam anytime anywhere...
Anyway, my advice is treat it like free dual instruction. Use the expertise of the examiner to your advantage. Show what they ask, then seek feedback right away on how each maneuver went. If you treat the examiner as a resource, they might just lapse out of enforcement mode for the moment and the whole experience will be positive. Much depends on the personality of the FSDO person assigned to you. But, if you get lucky and set the stage right away when you meet them, with a positive learning attitude... it can be pretty good.

Rob,
I might digress from the main topic here for a moment....
The 709 ride can be stressful, if you let it.
Most pilots have never even heard of one, let alone have to do it.
It is unlike driving a car where the FAA needs probable cause. They can request a 709 ride or oral exam anytime anywhere...
Anyway, my advice is treat it like free dual instruction. Use the expertise of the examiner to your advantage. Show what they ask, then seek feedback right away on how each maneuver went. If you treat the examiner as a resource, they might just lapse out of enforcement mode for the moment and the whole experience will be positive. Much depends on the personality of the FSDO person assigned to you. But, if you get lucky and set the stage right away when you meet them, with a positive learning attitude... it can be pretty good.

Thanks... my 709 ride was this morning and it went very well. The flight portion went quickly and we had a good discussion afterwards.

Back