What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Seattle Avionics download USB issue

APACHE 56

Well Known Member
Per the instructions in the GRT/Seattle Avionics Chart Data Manual Supplement para 2.1.4, I created a folder named GRTCHARTS in my USB. Then over the next 5 hours I downloaded the various files I intend to use. When I checked the directory after the download process there was a new folder ChartData in addition to the folder I created. The ChartData folder had about 5 gig of contents while the GRTCHARTS folder was empty.

Is this normal? Do I drag the data folder into the GRT folder?

Thanks,
Don

Don,
This is the way the Seattle Avionics system works. The GRT folder just tells the program that the stick you have is meant for a GRT system so it can make sure it does the right thing. All the data it downloads is put in the chartdata folder. Don't drag it anywhere or it won't work.

Our customers do the same thing, they just create a SkyViewUS folder to tell the program they want data for a SkyView in the USA.

--Ian
Dynon Avionics

Ian is CORRECT, Plus ....

Don,
This is the way the Seattle Avionics system works. The GRT folder just tells the program that the stick you have is meant for a GRT system so it can make sure it does the right thing. All the data it downloads is put in the chartdata folder. Don't drag it anywhere or it won't work.

Our customers do the same thing, they just create a SkyViewUS folder to tell the program they want data for a SkyView in the USA.

--Ian
Dynon Avionics

Do **NOT** remove the stick until it CLEAR that there is NO activity, See bottom of the Seattle Avionics App.

Depending upon the speed of your computer and the type of USB port *and* they type of USB stick you are using, the process can take from a few to 24 hours or so.

*Download* of everything takes about and hour or two ... depending.

The "unpacking" process is what is dependent upon computer and memory stick. If they are both USB 3.0 it will all be much faster. Most people probably have USB 2.0 computers and memory sticks.

In some testing that I did,I saw a factor of 5X depending upon the USB combinations.

James

Thanks Ian

That helps; thanks,
Don

Don,

--Ian
Dynon Avionics

It seems I can leave well enough alone...

OK, I got the answer to the USB question . But here's a follow on: when reconnecting the USB and opening the Data Manager there is a "Red" button titled "Flight Guide Airport Diagrams." The system goes through all 4700 files and then gives an error message saying that there was a problem installing the data to the "GenericChartData" All the "Green" buttons show that I have the data I will likely use but am curious as to what the Flight Guide stuff is.

Thanks,
Don

There *may* be a problem in that area

OK, I got the answer to the USB question . But here's a follow on: when reconnecting the USB and opening the Data Manager there is a "Red" button titled "Flight Guide Airport Diagrams." The system goes through all 4700 files and then gives an error message saying that there was a problem installing the data to the "GenericChartData" All the "Green" buttons show that I have the data I will likely use but am curious as to what the Flight Guide stuff is.

Thanks,
Don

Not GRT related, but I will wait and let Seattle or GRT respond about that.

All the CHART/PLATES/SECTIONALS should download and work just fine.

James

Back