What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (July 2013) Garmin GTR 200 10 Watt COM Radio for Experimental Aircraft

Another question: Why would anyone buy the base GTR 225 over the GTR 200?

Same transmit power and the GTR 200 has a stereo vs mono intercom.

GTR 225 is certified, and can be had in an 8.33 kHz channel spacing and with 16W output. So if you're driving a certified plane or operating in Europe, the 200 won't do you any good.

Audio Panel?

This radio totally answers my question about which comm/intercom setup to install in my 7A. I was torn between:

PAR100EX with built-in stereo intercom: $2300
GTR 225 + PS Engineering stereo intercom: $2200
GTR 225 + GMA 240 Audio Panel: $2645

Now I can have a 10w radio AND stereo intercom for $1200?!

Thank you guys on the Garmin X Team!

Russ

Dear Russ, first I appreciate you having us in you short list and that the GTR200 made your decision making process easier.

One word of caution, even though the words "audio panel" are used in their product description, there is no audio panel functionality, from what I could gather.

If you are going to have just one radio, the GTR200 could be great solution for your mission, but if you are going to have more than one radio now or later, you might want to put that back into your equation.

Hi Mark,

Good thought. My plans don't call for a 2nd radio except maybe a portable some day. Nor will I install any old style nav equipment (VOR, DME, ADF, etc.) if I make the plane IFR capable. Been there, done that, time to move on. :)

So my audio needs should really just be: Radio, intercom, audio input from EFIS and a music input.

Thanks!
Russ

GTR 225 is certified, and can be had in an 8.33 kHz channel spacing and with 16W output. So if you're driving a certified plane or operating in Europe, the 200 won't do you any good.

Ah, that makes sense: Certified, the $600 difference. :)

This radio totally answers my question about which comm/intercom setup to install in my 7A. [...]

Now I can have a 10w radio AND stereo intercom for $1200?!

Thank you guys on the Garmin X Team!

Hi Russ - You're quite welcome! We're excited about the GTR 200. If my wife ever lets me have another airplane project, it will be the perfect do-everything radio for the back-country Cub I'd like to build. I hope she's not reading this. :)

Another question: Why would anyone buy the base GTR 225 over the GTR 200?

Same transmit power and the GTR 200 has a stereo vs mono intercom.

Unfortunately there are still some people who haven't seen the light and are still flying around in certified airplanes. ;)

- Matt

Got a demo from one of your engineers... Nice radio! Unless something changes between now and when I populate my panel, I'll be getting the GTR 200 :)

GTR 200 Database Compatibility

Guys,

The new Garmin comm looks great, but after all of the talk about the compatibility of the GTR 200 with the SL40 mounting tray, I think one feature has been neglected for consideration.

The GTR 200 displays the identification of the comm channel. I think that this is among its most useful features. (Call me a Luddite, but I'm not excited about 3D audio.) The new Dynon comm does likewise, but only has a 6W power output versus 10W for the Garmin. The literature lists a bunch of Garmin GPS's that can feed it database information, but is this functionality available from any other source? Specifically...

Can a Dynon Skyview system integrate with the GTR 200 to depict the comm channel identification?

If a Dynon Skyview system can integrate painlessly with the GTR 200, then it's a winner.

Rob
RV-6...someday soon
Ottawa

So Matt... how would this play with, say, a 430W? Would using two radios require the addition af an audio panel (losing a lot of the features and appeal of the GTR 200) or some creative toggle switch wiring? I see the installation manual shows an example of a GTR 200 and GNS 430 connected to a GMA 240. OK, fine, but now you've just lost the 3D audio function of the GTR 200. Is there a better way that I'm missing?

Guys,

The new Garmin comm looks great, but after all of the talk about the compatibility of the GTR 200 with the SL40 mounting tray, I think one feature has been neglected for consideration.

The GTR 200 displays the identification of the comm channel. I think that this is among its most useful features. (Call me a Luddite, but I'm not excited about 3D audio.) The new Dynon comm does likewise, but only has a 6W power output versus 10W for the Garmin. The literature lists a bunch of Garmin GPS's that can feed it database information, but is this functionality available from any other source? Specifically...

Can a Dynon Skyview system integrate with the GTR 200 to depict the comm channel identification?

If a Dynon Skyview system can integrate painlessly with the GTR 200, then it's a winner.

Rob
RV-6...someday soon
Ottawa

Hello Rob,

Thank you for considering the GTR 200 for your aircraft.

The GTR 200 serial interface has some new tricks that enable it to perform automatic frequency identification of manually tuned frequencies, but it is also backwards compatible with the SL 40 protocol.

We haven't tested the GTR 200 with the product you mention, but we have tested it with older software in Garmin portables that work with a SL 40 and they also work great with the GTR 200.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

power FYI

VHF comms are line-of-sight so having a few more watts makes no practical difference in normal use of any aircraft radio.

So Matt... how would this play with, say, a 430W? Would using two radios require the addition af an audio panel (losing a lot of the features and appeal of the GTR 200) or some creative toggle switch wiring? I see the installation manual shows an example of a GTR 200 and GNS 430 connected to a GMA 240. OK, fine, but now you've just lost the 3D audio function of the GTR 200. Is there a better way that I'm missing?

Hello Dale,

While the GTR 200 is an all-in-one radio, intercom, and audio solution for two place aircraft with a single GTR 200 radio, you are correct that you would need an audio panel like the GMA 240 with COM1/COM2 interfacing and mic selection capability when using the GTR 200 with a second COM radio like used in the GNS 430W.

Thanks,
Steve

Historically, I am perhaps one of the folks who most loudly decried the poor performance of the internal intercoms in radios in favor of stand alone units....even to the point of being a negative Nelly when I heard about Garmin developing this new radio having an internal intercom. I figured since it historically hasn't been implemented too well, it again would be the same. I'm here to publically say that I was wrong (turns out I'm often wrong, but most of the folks around me let me think I'm always right) on this specific radio and the built in intercom in this particular unit is really quite good! I still wouldn't choose it for a multiple radio install, or an install with tons of various audio items to manage, but as a VFR radio and intercom it's more than sufficient. At less than $1200 for the combined functionality, you can't do any better in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Stein
Is it suitable (intercom function) for a very noisy cockpit?
Or even an open cockpit?
John

Stein
Is it suitable (intercom function) for a very noisy cockpit?
Or even an open cockpit?
John

Hello John,

We flight tested the GTR 200 during development in 3 pretty noisy closed cockpit homebuilts, and the GTR 200 auto-squelch had no trouble working well in those environments.

We also have an audio lab where we can reproduce and test with the audio signatures typical of a couple of certified aircraft (one a rotorcraft) up to 100 dB sound pressure level.

We are confident the auto-squelch feature of the intercom will work well in noisy closed cockpits, but you should plan on using either the manual squelch or the keyed intercom (both supported) if you plan to use the GTR 200 intercom in an open cockpit aircraft.

Thanks for your interest,
Steve

Steve, has the GTR200 started shipping yet? A friend ordered one for me at Oshkosh and was told delivery end of August... No word yet though...

Steve, has the GTR200 started shipping yet? A friend ordered one for me at Oshkosh and was told delivery end of August... No word yet though...

Hello Rob,

We had a small production build around Oshkosh, but normal production run GTR 200 shipments are beginning this week. We are working around the clock to get caught up on back orders.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Steve

Very nice product set!

Steve, Matt,

Garmin is making a very nice product set. Congratulations to team X!

I'm considering purchasing an RV-7 fuselage, sans engine and panel. I'm still thinking over the engine decision, but the panel decision is being made easy by this new set of announcements.

If I decide for a VFR setup, I'll go dual G3X, GTR200, GTX 23 and I'm done.

Now it's a real pity you couldn't fit the GTR200's stereo intercom on the GNC255, I mean, IMHO you need ILS/LOC/GS. Even if it's a VFR-intended airplane...

Guess everything is a compromise. Congratulations and thanks.

Because of the higher transmitting power of the comm, do you think that would improve function of the custom comm antennas mounted in the wing tips?

I've heard conflicting stories about the performance of these antennas but also like the slick appearance you get but function must come first.

Any Opinions or Experience?

Glenn Wilkinson

It might offset the inefficiency of transmitting through wing tip mounted antenna's, but wouldn't help with receiving.

G3Xpert:

I had a quick conversation over the weekend with several homebuilders here in Brazil. Some are building RV's, some are building other stuff. They all have the same request from GARMIN:

When will you submit the GTR200 for approval/homologation with ANATEL, so we can use it in Brazil?

Please.

G3Xpert:

I had a quick conversation over the weekend with several homebuilders here in Brazil. Some are building RV's, some are building other stuff. They all have the same request from GARMIN:

When will you submit the GTR200 for approval/homologation with ANATEL, so we can use it in Brazil?

Please.

Hello Hermann,

Thank you for your support. We are looking into this.

Thanks,
Steve

GTR 200 V2.40 Software Available

Good Morning,

Those of you with GTR 200 radios will want to follow these links and read about the new features in the V2.40 software. As you know, the front mounted SD card drive in the GTR 200 makes customer installed software updates quick and easy.

Lucy's Blog

GTR 200 V2.40 Software Download

Most of the new features introduced in this release were customer requested, and we want to thank all of you for your great suggestions.

Thanks,
Steve

What portables does it interface with?

Hi all,

The description on the Garmin page says it will interface with some Garmin portables, which will allow it to "look up" frequencies. For the life of me I can't find which portables it will actually do this with. Does anyone know?

Better yet, has anyone bought and installed the GTR 200 in an RV? If so, can you give us a pirep? I would be really interested to know how well their intercom works in a real RV.

Thanks

The description on the Garmin page says it will interface with some Garmin portables, which will allow it to "look up" frequencies. For the life of me I can't find which portables it will actually do this with. Does anyone know?

Good morning Geoff,

The GTR 200 can accept frequency tuning data from any Garmin portable GPS unit that supports the "VHF Out" RS-232 data format. This includes the GPSmap 296/396/495/496, GPSmap 695/696, the aera 5xx family, and the aera 795/796. It also can interface to the GDU 37x cockpit display when it is configured either as a standalone panel-mounted MFD or as part of a complete G3X EFIS system.

The GTR 200 can also receive database information via the same RS-232 interface that allows it to display comm frequency identification information on its own front-panel display. For example, if you manually tune a frequency of 118.450, the GTR 200 will automatically decode and display it as "KFLY AWOS". The database information is transferred automatically from the GPSmap 695/696, the aera 5xx family, the aera 795/796, and the GDU 37x cockpit display unit.

- Matt

G3Xpert:

Please.

Hello Hermann,

Good news!

We just received ANATEL approval to use the GTR200 in Brazil.

Thank you for your interest in this product,
Steve

Good morning Geoff,

The GTR 200 can accept frequency tuning data from any Garmin portable GPS unit that supports the "VHF Out" RS-232 data format. This includes the GPSmap 296/396/495/496, GPSmap 695/696, the aera 5xx family, and the aera 795/796. It also can interface to the GDU 37x cockpit display when it is configured either as a standalone panel-mounted MFD or as part of a complete G3X EFIS system.

The GTR 200 can also receive database information via the same RS-232 interface that allows it to display comm frequency identification information on its own front-panel display. For example, if you manually tune a frequency of 118.450, the GTR 200 will automatically decode and display it as "KFLY AWOS". The database information is transferred automatically from the GPSmap 695/696, the aera 5xx family, the aera 795/796, and the GDU 37x cockpit display unit.

- Matt

I had planned to use the GTR 200 in my RV-6 build and am installing my 396 GPS. Does this mean that I will not have airport identifiers on the display unless I tune via selection from the 396?

Thanks,

Larry

I had planned to use the GTR 200 in my RV-6 build and am installing my 396 GPS. Does this mean that I will not have airport identifiers on the display unless I tune via selection from the 396?

Hello Larry,

When used with your GPSmap 396 GPS, the GTR 200 will receive information about airports in your flight plan as well as certain nearby airports, but will not have access to the full transfer of all frequency database information as it would when used with one of the newer units referenced above. So you will likely see frequency identifier information being displayed for certain frequencies, but not every one.

- Matt

Hello Larry,

When used with your GPSmap 396 GPS, the GTR 200 will receive information about airports in your flight plan as well as certain nearby airports, but will not have access to the full transfer of all frequency database information as it would when used with one of the newer units referenced above. So you will likely see frequency identifier information being displayed for certain frequencies, but not every one.

- Matt

Thanks for the follow up details. I will be interfacing my 396 GPS with both a Trio AP and the GTR200. Is the functionality above enabled with one way or two way communications. I am not sure that I can bridge both devices on the transmit side of the RS-232 communications channel.

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks for the follow up details. I will be interfacing my 396 GPS with both a Trio AP and the GTR200. Is the functionality above enabled with one way or two way communications. I am not sure that I can bridge both devices on the transmit side of the RS-232 communications channel.

Larry,

The RS-232 connection between the GTR 200 and any portable GPS is a one-way connection (OUT from the GPS, IN to the radio).

- Matt

Thanks,

Larry

I have my GTR 200 fed by my 496 and I haven't come across any issues. Works great with the identifiers (really slick). Haven't done much x-country with it so I might find some identifiers missing over time. Also my 496 feeds my Dynon D180 autopilot. All work fine.

Any reports yet?

Hi all, just wondered if anyone had one of the Garmin GTR 200's working in an RV yet? If so, might you give some comments to the rest of us?

cheers

Geoff

I do

I have posted a few comments about the GTR200 in past few months. I have been flying with it since around Sept 2013.

Outstanding radio, great features, amazing intercom. Garmin listens to user comments and updates the software (simple SD card interface) based on user input. Some of the updated functionality was based on some of my input (and others possibly as well).

I highly recommend it.

Larry,

The RS-232 connection between the GTR 200 and any portable GPS is a one-way connection (OUT from the GPS, IN to the radio).

- Matt

Hello Matt,
could you help me understand the wiring between the GPSMAP 39x and the GTR200? I had no luck finding documentation of those two units only going but what's most likely and similar devices.

From my understanding the cable shielding is connected to black ground wire on the GPSMAP side and to the common grounding block on the GTR side (btw doesn't that create a ground loop?) according to GTR 200/GTR 200B Installation Manual Revision P Page D-4 where it shows an Aera 79x. Then the "DATA OUT (BLUE)" on the GPS MAP will send signals to PIN 24 "RS-232 IN" on the GTR according to Garmin GPSMAP 695/696 Owner’s Manual, Page 208

As you mentioned the opposite direction doesn't need to be connected cause there is no data flowing, is that still correct?

I plan to remove the fuse from the red power lead and instead use a 4A circuit breaker to have all the circuit protection in a single place. Anything wrong with doing that?

Last question, can you describe what the GPSMAP does when connected to a G3x? Not something i plan in the near future but would be curious to know how they work together

Back