What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jack Norris RIP

Any sense of what happened? I saw him post on another forum a day or two ago.
No, you didn't. He was 94 and the last few months were as you might expect. I don't know what you saw. Jack never posted on any forum of which I am aware. He was not that kind of computer user.

RIP indeed, Jack was one of a kind. I was inquiring about his book years ago, and he called me (!!!) and we talked for over an hour ,much about the Voyager Flight. Quite a bright fellow. When his book arrived, he had written over a dozen personal comments within.

RIP indeed, Jack was one of a kind. I was inquiring about his book years ago, and he called me (!!!) and we talked for over an hour ,much about the Voyager Flight. Quite a bright fellow. When his book arrived, he had written over a dozen personal comments within.

That was normal Jack Norris. My book is like that, too. The book may be digitized but I wonder if all those handwritten notes will be lost?

Better to have what we can of that book. BTW, most of it is over my head but I had many hours of discussions and even arguments with him about things in it.

Also, FWIW, I still have the computer program written by Andy Bauer and mentioned in the book. The program is not really useful for designing a working propellor (on which Jack and I strongly disagreed) but it is a very useful first step and it perfectly illustrates how the ideas in the book work.

Anyone interested in getting some "runs" of that program can PM me. Same for the book. PM because I won't be checking this post for more replies after a day or so. The forum emails me with PM notices.

I met Jack at KOSH one year when he came up to me out of the blue and started telling me about props, and sacks of cement. Anyone who has met him will know what I'm talking about.

I came away from the meeting thinking that I'd love to be that passionate about anything!

Very nice guy, and someone who will be missed. I'm happy to have had the chance to talk to him even if only for a short time. He had an influence that was huge - totally opened my eyes to how propellers work.

Reminder to all: don't take a chance that I will monitor this thread. If you are interested in reaching me use PM. Thanks.

Back