What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

B&C Starter Solenoid

boom3

Well Known Member
Has anyone found a direct replacement for the B&C starter solenoid? I really don't want to send the whole thing back to B&C.

I've been having intermittent starting issues on my IO-360. (just clunks no cranking, it's the Van's solenoid that I can hear on the firewall).
I have a relatively new battery, confirmed good electrical connections, and even replaced the Van's starter relay.
I'm guessing it's the starter or solenoid but thought I'd start with the solenoid portion.

Thanks!

Why don't you unbolt the solenoid so that you can see the plunger end of it? Then you can compare it to an off-the-shelf unit on a site like rockauto.com which has nice illustrations of their parts.

Wouldn't it be funny if they used the same Ford PMGR solenoid as Sky-Tec does?

Welcome to the club...

...except mine was a Plane Power 149-LS/PM whatever...

Looking at the B&C website, it appears that the starter solenoid is the same as the Ford PMGR unit.

It's out of a 2005 Ford Crown Vic. Borg Warner is the "original" unit - many knock offs available, tho. I think I paid ~$36 for it from Advanced Autoparts.

B

Take it to a local starter shop. They will replace the solenoid. Rumors are it's just a repurposed Hitachi 1.4kW starter.

Well today I bought a PGMR solenoid from Napa just in case it was the correct one. When I took the solenoid off I found it was quite a bit different. The plunger is obviously different but there is also what looks to be a heavy duty return spring. The spring obviously slides right out, but the solenoid has to have the holes for it.

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

Back