What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleaveland brake O rings

APACHE 56

Well Known Member
I am replacing the O rings on my brakes and have questions regarding the "tricks of the trade" as it were. I don't think I paid to much attention to the O ring reassembly on my Skybolt; just lube with brake fluid and fly on. However, I feel a little more anal with the RV8.
What is the correct procedure please.

o-ring in first

The most important thing, the o-ring groove is off center in the puck. just make sure on reassembly that you insert the puck with the o-ring closest to the edge first. if you install it the other way the o-ring can come to far out and you will loose your hydraulic fluid and your brake will fail.

Definitely O-ring in first

Last year I purchased an RV7A from the original builder. There were numerous issues I've been force to address in my first year of ownership, one of which was loss of brake because someone installed the brake pucks backwards. Fortunately, this was discovered during an engine run-up when I was alone at the hammerhead while holding the brakes rather firmly. (The plane does not have a parking brake.)

However, even though no one was around me, the feeling of one peddle going fully to the floor and the quick twisting moment of the aircraft around the good brake wheel was enough to give me great concern! Pay close attention to how you re-insert the brake pucks. Do it wrong and you or someone else will regret it!!!

cap off the line when removing the caliper so you don't loose all the fluid. pre fill the caliper when reinstalling. be patient when pressing the new oring! :eek:

Back