What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT prop hairline cracks

APACHE 56

Well Known Member
I discovered some hairline cracks in my MT prop and have sent photos to MT tech spt. Of course I hope these are cosmetic; we'll see. Have any MT users encountered this issue?

f57ura.jpg

2d8qpnc.jpg

Those do not look exactly like mine, but my prop is painted black. I happen to live about 10 minutes from MT USA in Deland, FL and have flown over to have mine looked at. They assured me that it was cosmetic and was a paint issue. My prop was installed in 2008 and now has about 850 hours on it and those small cracks have been there for several years now. MT told me they started using a different paint some time ago in response to this problem. As I said, that does not look exactly like mine, but that could be a different paint. I will be interested to hear what MT tells you.
MT USA has been great to work with and are very customer service oriented, IMHO. I will probably have them overhaul mine one of these days.

Those do not look exactly like mine, but my prop is painted black. I happen to live about 10 minutes from MT USA in Deland, FL and have flown over to have mine looked at. They assured me that it was cosmetic and was a paint issue. I will probably have them overhaul mine one of these days.

Dave,
I too live near Deland (Merritt Island) and also believe these are cosmetic. Once the influence of this tropical whatever we are enduring in Florida for the next several days has past I'll zip over there and let them take a look.

I have sent these pics to Germany to the tech support guys.

MT very prompt reply

f57ura.jpg

Here's the reply from MT USA (I emailed them last night and at 0830 today they replied - I'm very happy with that response time!)

"Hi Don,

Those cracks are cosmetic only, only in the paint, they do not affect the core strength of the blades. No reason for grounding the aircraft. See section 6.2.2.4 and 6.8.3 in the attached operations manual."

Best Regards,
Juergen Zahner
Chief Inspector
MT Propeller USA, Inc.
ph: 386-736-7762
fax:386-736-7696
[email protected]
www.mt-propeller.com

Back