What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto plugs in a long reach engine

APACHE 56

Well Known Member
I have dual P mags in a IO 390 which is a long reach engine. I'd like to use auto plugs and learned from an earlier thread that Lightspeed has a "long reach" adapter. I'd like to know if there is any operational experience in this configuration i.e., auto spark plugs in an aviation long reach engine.
thanks,
Don

Should work fine!

I doubt there will be any difference compared to other engines run on auto plugs. Check http://reamproducts.com/ for inserts - their prices are very good. The inserts you need are also used on Allison engines...and TCM...

Carry on!
Mark

Don't know but

Are recommended with the extended adapters?

but I'll start with something that is spec compatible with the NGK BR8ES which are used by some with the emag ignition (which I am using). The aircraft has been in the paint shop for the last two months and if/when I ever get it back I'll worry the plugs.

I think I'll contact Brad at emag and maybe Bill Reppuci to see if they have any suggestios.
don

Got a long reach adapter

from www.sparkplugadapters.com (the ones that Mark recommended) just to look at. At first glance, it looks like it will work. I am now searching for a long reach auto plug that will work in the long reach adapter and have a list of four or five. This week I'll take the long reach adapter to an auto parts store and see how it works with some of these auto plugs.

Good info

Hey Terry:

Keep us inna loop please! FYI I came up with Denso ITV27 (tapered seat) or or IKH27 (gasket), but I can't confirm which of these will actually fit the adapters I have on hand.

Judging from the info on the adapters, and viewing images of the specific P/N's on Google, I think the tapered seat x 25mm plugs (ITV27) are the right parts, tho the adapter/plug page shows both short reach and long reach plugs as fitting these adapters; I suspect the long reach plugs wold produce more power.

For plug info:
http://www.globaldenso.com/en/products/aftermarket/plug/power/structure.html

The G3 ignition pages show how to install auto type wires into your magneto distributor cap - even a cave man could do it!

G3 ignition:
http://www.g3ignition.com/magmod.html

Good luck!
Mark

but I'll start with something that is spec compatible with the NGK BR8ES which are used by some with the emag ignition (which I am using).

Interesting - that's the same plug I run in my boat, 2-stroke outboard.

Got it!

OK: the Denso ITV27 is the right plug for us to use (25mm x tapered seat) on the higher compression engines; ITV24 for the low compression types. Check the heat range for your application, but that is a good starting point!

Carry on!
Mark

Bosch may have a contender

Found a Bosch Platinum Plus auto plug 4029 that may work as a long reach replacement for aviation plugs: Shown here along side a long reach adapter from http://reamproducts.com/

UaruaOd8Qu2RRsPA4Pa4cOKaptKcLRa3cY_Ytcd4mSo

Here it is mated to the long reach adapter:

jZ7mki_F28FVKLMUXvTJEuKaptKcLRa3cY_Ytcd4mSo

And here along side a Tempest UREB37E long reach plug:

Heat range is compatible, it has a resistor and a permanent end cap.

Haven't tried any yet!

Denso IKH27 working great for me

I am getting great performance with Denso IKH27... The flight from Seattle to Florida was amazing; the Pmag and plug are a fantastic pairing! I will pull the plugs when we make it home in a couple of weeks.

Thread bump...

3+ plus years later; is everybody happy with Denso IKH27 plugs in the long reach engines?

MORE QUESTIONS

Thread bump...

3+ plus years later; is everybody happy with Denso IKH27 plugs in the long reach engines?

And: which adapter are you using with the IHK27s? I am building up an engine that will have 7.5 compression and forced induction, and I'd prefer to use this type plug...probably in a cooler heat range? Same HP = same heat range? More HP = lower heat range?

Carry on!
Mark

And: which adapter are you using with the IHK27s?

Emagair makes both short and long reach adapters for gasket plugs. So does Lightspeed, but Klaus won't sell adapters unless you buy his ignition. Robert has nice adapters at EFii, but isn't currently listing long reach on the website. I'll bet he can make them.

I am building up an engine that will have 7.5 compression and forced induction, and I'd prefer to use this type plug...probably in a cooler heat range? Same HP = same heat range? More HP = lower heat range?

Forced induction? You want Ross or Thomas, not me!

Long Reach

For the first year my IO 390 ran with short reach adapters and plugs to fit them. Then I had an issue with my ignition and discovered the short plugs and adapters. By the way it ran fine for a year with short plugs and adapters. After discovering that the IO 390 uses long reach we put them in. The adapter come in two different metric sizes. So figure out which plug you want to run then buy the adapter for the correct mm plug. I don't remember off the top of my head which part number I wound up with. I've tried a lot of different plug from very expensive fine wire to cheap online plugs. There is no difference in performance that I can tell other than in my wallet.

EFIi long reach spark plug adapters

We do indeed have long reach adapters.
pn SPA-LR-4, 4 adapter set with washers, $74.

Robert

213 hours on a Denso IKH27. This was the dirtiest one. The other three from this lower cylinder set had cleaner insulators. The original .038" gap has opened to more than .045", but otherwise there isn't anything real wrong with it. Never cleaned, but there wasn't much garbage down around the insulator base, which I found kinda surprising. Mag drop was 50 RPM with a Ford EDIS/Megajolt ignition on a 390.

I think I'll alternate replacement of upper and lower plugs sets at future annuals. I fly about 100 hours per year, so that would make it 200 hours per set.

2gtd7jp.jpg

213 hours on a Denso IKH27. This was the dirtiest one. The other three from this lower cylinder set had cleaner insulators. The original .038" gap has opened to more than .045", but otherwise there isn't anything real wrong with it. Never cleaned, but there wasn't much garbage down around the insulator base, which I found kinda surprising. Mag drop was 50 RPM with a Ford EDIS/Megajolt ignition on a 390.

I think I'll alternate replacement of upper and lower plugs sets at future annuals. I fly about 100 hours per year, so that would make it 200 hours per set.

When I replace a set, I put new in the top and move the top to the bottom.

Good experience with NGK plugs

I originally had extended nose Tempest plugs in my IO 360, so I searched for an extended nose auto plug when I converted the bottom plugs to automotive. The plugs I found were for a Porsche 911, the NGK BPR8EIX (PN 6684). I ran these for two years before converting the top plugs to the NGK plug, Summit racing usually has the best prices. I bought the adapters from Brad at P-mag. I am running the P-mag on the left side with an ElectroAir on the right.

Plug adapter

Has anyone measured the cylinder head depth to determine what length is needed ? On a 390 that I have needed something like one inch plus thread length to accommodate the adapter with flange. I wanted the adapter and plug to be flush with the inside head surface . Plug choices are a bit slim. Remember that colder plugs will result in higher head temperatures. I used warmer plugs (NGK 6.5 range)with Rotax plug paste on adapter and plug to help transfer heat .Plugs look good but only have about 165 hours on them.

Back