What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heat shield for scat tube

Plummit

Well Known Member
I have to replace some scat for my cabin heater and the builder had installed a material that looks like fiberglass mat on a orange silicone backing to protect it near the exhaust. Anyone know what this stuff is?

regards

-Marc

I used KoolMat for a flap over the cabin heat boxes to keep the hot air from billowing back at the fuel pump in the summer when the cabin heat boxes are shut. Here is the product:http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/koolmat.php?clickkey=31128

I would question the use of this or any other heat shield however for scat hoses. Recommend you look at a better routing for the hoses to solve the exhaust pipe proximity issue. In most cases the shortest route is not the best route.

Carl

RTV on scat

Speaking of scat tubing, I have been wondering why Van's recommends running a bead of red RTV along the length of scat in the engine compartment. Anybody know about this?

I have to replace some scat for my cabin heater and the builder had installed a material that looks like fiberglass mat on a orange silicone backing to protect it near the exhaust. Anyone know what this stuff is?

regards

-Marc

No idea what it is without seeing it, but I simply used aluminum piece held on with red RTV for the same reason. I know of a builder (as do you BTW) that had his firesleeve burn due to having it too close to the exhaust, the firesleeve happen to be for his fuel line. I recall him telling me that one needs to have something over anything that is 6 inches from any exhaust. Thank God I have seen no issue with any of my SCATS or other hoses. I assumed the red RTV was to make the SCAT a little more solid so it did not bounce around in the engine area.By having it held with the RTV I have seen the hose stay pretty much where they were installed everytime I inspect them.
Pascal

Glass mat like material

Mark, the mat material may be fiberfrax , a ceramic fiber matrix you get from ACS. The FAA approved it for a replacement of asbestos on an antique I restored.

Back