What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Location for Whelen power supply RV-7

Slagergren

Need some sound advice for location of Whelen's big power supply box (system 6 from Van's). This big box (5" x 6" x 2") (2lbs) might be great out on the tip of the LH wing (on the lead edge main spar face) or just under the floor board in front of the flap tube. Anyone have any other ideas or support, concerned about radio interferecne. This is for an RV7.

Note: While searching many of the threads Ive found several related suggestions. Of the info: I plan on tieing the grounds together and locating them as close as possible to the power unit.

Thanks for any help with the location suggestion,
Steve

FWIW mine is under the baggage floor (removeable) on the pilot's side. The ELT is on the passenger side behind the seat, the logic being the weight of each offset each other. Does it matter much.... probably not.

Larry

Whelen Power Supply Location

Steve, this isn't the only place or the best place, just a place, that has worked great for me over the years on the RV-7. No interference at all with any of the radios. Plus it's a good place for some other equipment as well (also where the autopilot pitch servo is located).

IMG_0470.jpg

I chose a behind-the-panel location for mine, just to push that 2 lb box as far forward as possible due to my light engine/prop combination. It is probably a foot from my radios and I've never had any interference, although I assumed it was a possibility with that mounting location.

So I suggest considering if your airplane is likely to have a fore or aft CG issue, then mount the power supply in a location which helps minimize the cg problem.

I mounted mine behind the left seat and aft of the flap tube. I recessed it upside down in the baggage floor. Used the underside of the power supply as the "door" for the compartment. It looks like just another access door and the floor is flush with the rest. It will be covered up with carpet.

I put mine behind the RH seat back and forward of the flap tube. It's mounted on top of the floor with rivnuts. The ELT is mounted on the RH flap actuator cover. The LH wheel still weighted more than the RH one - probably due to the instruments being biased to the LHS and the landing light being mounted on that side too.
Jim Sharkey
RV6

Back