What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel pump replacement

Northernliving

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of replacing the engine in my -8 and will be going from carb to fuel injected. The low pressure pump is mounted with the VA-201 bracket in front of the left gear tower, so that will all have to be removed and be replaced with the F-1048D bracket and a high pressure pump. I'm not overly excited about gymnastics involved in getting up under the instrument panel by the pedals to do the bracket and pump swap.

I'm sure I'm not the first to do a carb to FI conversion. I'm inclined to take the front stick and seat out and built/lay in some boards to I can lay down "comfortably". Any words of wisdom from those who have walked this path before me?

Brian

I've had to lay down there to adjust things. Taking the front seat back off and removing the stick will help a lot.

I was able to do what I needed to without removing the stick. The stick may not come off easily depending on how the push to talk is wired.

Baggage compartment?

Good suggestion on removing the stick and putting some planks down there.
Also, an old camping mattress or foam can help.

On mine, I can access this area via the baggage compartment once I've removed the shelf there. It's a bit of a stretch, but possible. Everyone is a different size, so might not work for you. If you are not tall and lanky, try to find a friend that is. :)

http://www.rv8.ch/andair-fuel-pump-upgrade/

img_1417-1024x768.jpg

That's a great photo of the pump layout. I bought my 8 flying so have not been deep down in the bowls of my ship. I smell a slight fuel smell when I reduce power back to almost idea wth pump on coming in to land, I think there might be a slight leak down there amongst that piping -)

Brian,
I made an opening in the side of the fuselage below the NACA vent adjacent to the fuel pump components and lines that makes installation and servicing a snap. I can email a picture of what it looks like if you want. I?ve been trying to upload a pic to this site for the last two days, but as usual, I have to re-invent the wheel every time I do that, so email is infinitely easier. This inspection opening is something you can easily do in a day. I copied what a couple local RV8 buddies did (Bruce Brielmaier and Jon Thocker), so I cant take credit for coming up with the idea. I used my fly cutter mounted on a jig that Bruce made to cut two round holes a certain distance apart. I think I made my holes 3 or 4 inches in diameter. Then you draw a line tangent to the edges of the two holes and cut on that line to make an oval for the opening. I don?t think you need that jig, but you need to hold that fly cutter very still and turn it slowly to make the holes. You could also use a hole saw if you have one big enough. My opening is big enough to get both hands in there if I needed to. You will need to make a doubler (.063) that you rivet in place on the inside with an opening 1/2? smaller than your original opening because it will have platenuts to hold the inspection cover. Make this cover out of aluminum the same thickness as the original side skin - I think it?s .040. It took me maybe 30 minutes to cut, file, and finish the original opening. Making and riveting in a doubler is easy because you do it all while sitting on a chair next to the airplane and there?s plenty of room to get you squeezer in through the opening you cut. Before you rivet it in though, make a cardboard template of the opening so you can make the cover the right size.
A picture tells a thousand words. If you want a pic, PM me and I?ll send it.

+1 on what Mickey said. Take the floor out of the forward baggage compartment and use a short ladder, crate or anything that will get you high enough to reach the pump and filter thru the baggage door. I'd rather get whipped with a coat-hanger than lay under the instrument panel!

Back