What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heavy wing

jacksel

Well Known Member
I recently had to replace my left aileron due to ground damage. Now I have a heavy right wing. I remember there is a procedure to tweak the aileron trailing edge to correct heavy wing. I can't remember which aileron trailing edge should be tweaked for the correction. But I do know it's important to tweak the correct aileron. Anyone familiar with this procedure?

Van?s has a document on their website that addresses the heavy wing. Squeezing the trailing edge of the aileron can make a big impact and can be effective, but it is a better solution to look at slotting the holes in the aileron bracket and adjusting the aileron up or down as may be appropriate. Here is the link to Van?s doc.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Wing_Heavy.pdf

I lowered the inboard aileron hinge about 1/16 on my 6 on the light wing and that solved my heavy wing issue. I would not have believed that little amount would make that big of difference. Bruce Estes

I lowered the inboard aileron hinge about 1/16 on my 6 on the light wing and that solved my heavy wing issue. I would not have believed that little amount would make that big of difference. Bruce Estes

Are you sure? I?m pretty sure I lowered the hinge on my heavy wing, to fix it.

Going through this process now on my -7. Squeeze the light wing trailing edge / lower the heavy wing aileron.

I'd suggest you check section 5 of the updated build manual which has pictures of what the trailing edges should look like. It's possible your new aileron is under / over squeezed. Makes a huge difference.

Back