What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Assembly Steps with S.B.wings;front spar/rear spar spacing

When assembling with the Q.B. wings I understand not to assemble the fuse until you have your wings ,because of front/ rear spar spacing,My question is with the S.B. wings can I assemble most all of the fuse?, and when assembling wing take the front /rear spar lenght from the fuse and just assemble wings to that lenght.It just makes sence that would be O.K right ?. one more question even with Q.B.Wings could you assemble most of the fuse and just keep the rear lower blukhead that the rear spar rivets to not riveted to the skin "our drilled"until you check the front/rear spar lenght of the Q.B.wing Thank you for any assembly input,and great info from all of you who have posted very useful. JimW

Trying to make the SB wings match the fuse could be difficult since the spar to spar distance is set by the ribs. I suppose you could shim them further apart. I drilled and clecoed my entire cockpit assembly together using the QB wings then placed this assembly into my fuse jig. I also positioned the rear spar carry thru flat bar as to get the proper edge distance...as others have said, there is very little/no margin on this part and using a larger bar is probably wise. FWIW my QB wings spar to spar distance was almost 1/8" different from one wing to the other.
Also keep in mind, the root rib should match with the seat rib since the bottom skin overlaps onto the wings here.
Mike

Back