What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Making the "knife edge" dash board skin safe?

Slagergren

I am building a RV7 w/tipup and have heard terrible stories of pilot head injuries from the tipup skin (#702) edge. This skin is only .025" thick, even so its curve and the WD-716 frame support make it a real threat at impact speeds.

One item Ive seen offered by Classic Areo RV interior is the common black plastic/ w/metal wrap around edging commonly seen on many old snowmobile covers etc.

My questions are: #1. Is there any safer/more attractive edge product out their beside this common metal reinforced black stuff?

#2. Has anyone added an additional strip of alunimum to the underside of the skin along this edge to add some stiffness? The .025" skin seems too thin to adequately to hold any edging and seems prown to being bent by any mis-handling.

Any thouhts or ideas?

Steve

I have seen a number of people take soft aluminum fuel or brake line, slit it lengthwise, and glue that on to the edge - makes a nice rounded glareshield. I did the same thing with plastic sailboat guy-wire protection tubing, but couldn't get paint to stay on it, so I went with the standard edging you describe.

(This, of course, on my -8, but essentially the same problem as on the -7.)

Paul

One item Ive seen offered by Classic Areo RV interior is the common black plastic/ w/metal wrap around edging.... Is there any safer/more attractive edge product out their beside...this common metal reinforced black stuff?Any thouhts or ideas?Steve

I knew I wanted a different look than using the typical edge treatment seen on countless RV's. If you look closely at the picture, I installed the common glare shield vinyl along the bottom edge of the windshield for no other reason than to accent it. Since it was already bought, I figured I'd put it to good use. I wanted a more rounded look for the glare shield so I slit a length of black air hose I happened to have on hand. Very pleased with the end result, it works for me.

14wd1g7.jpg

Take some 1/4, or 5/16" fuel hose, long enough to reach from end to end of the glare shield, and slit it from end to end---keep the slit as straight as you can, then just put it over the edge of the glare shield.

For a nicer look, you can wrap the fuel hose with upholstery material, tucking the edges into the slit before you slide it onto the glare shield edge.

If you have covered the glare shield with fabric, and gotten the thickness up too much, then you need to remove a small slice of the hose from end to end.

Practice on some scrap, it is very easy to do.

I stole, er, uh, immitated Rick's idea from seeing the previous posts on his -8 panel (and thanks much Rick!) His method worked very well on my -6, with no problems fitting the curve of the side-by-side glareshield. I've had some nice comments on the look from locals too! In my case, I slid the hose right over the original edge treatment. I didn't glue it, as I need to move it a bit to remove the modular panel sections to get behind the panel, but the hose grips very well without glue (I also did not remove any material from the hose...I just slit the hose along the stamped printing that was on it, so that printing disappears when installed).

Thanks again for the innovative idea Rick!

Edit: Oooh, just saw Mike's post...pretty neat idea...could go with a leather look...or something that matches the interior. Mike's right about the thickness issue though. I found with just the hose, the grip and size is just about right with just the slit. If you add material, might need to take out a little material to make it look nicer. Cool idea!

Cheers,
Bob

panelglareshieldedgelj7.jpg

Last edited:
I used edging from McMaster Carr and aircraft carpet from Airtex interiors. I had read somewhere that the glareshied area passes alot of noise into the cabin and by installing carpet there it helps to cushion the noise. Will email pics if you want to see.

Not sure, but it doesnt sound from your description that you have the same glare shield product from Classic Aero Design that I have. Check out their "Deluxe glare shield trim" - its really very nice - people compliment mine all the time:

http://www.classicaerodesigns.com/w...oductCategory=Accessories&ProductCategoryID=1

(click "more pictures" to get a better close up photo)

The above product is WAY better than their other product - the "black pinch welt for glare shield" - perhaps that is what you had seen? Yes, its also way more expensive, but I have no regrets in this case.

erich

Back