What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is there a 1" Unibit?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I need to drill the 1" holes through the sides of the fuselage for the fuel line rubber grommet (RV-9A, DWG 28, shown in F-970 side view). Sure seems like a big hole!

This hole goes through the side skin and some underlying structure. I've got it to 3/4" with my unibit, but I checked the aircraft tool aisle at Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards with no luck for a bigger unibit / step drill.

They did have one that went through 1".... it was custom made for electrical conduit and had lots of intermediate, unlabelled step sizes.

What have others done?

Thanks,

Dave,
Yes, there is. I own one. I have two Unibits. One starts at 1/8" and goes up to 1/2" in 1/16" increments. The other one starts at 1/2" and goes up to 1". Using a quick Google search I found one listed below.

http://www.antonline.com/p_10220-GP_370949.htm

With a bit more searching, you might find a lower price.

Charlie Kuss

score - a HF low use tool!

Thanks Guys - there's a harbor freight in town, so I'll be there tomorrow (if it isn't underwater :()

Dave-
A 1" bimetal hole saw from your local hardware store will work great for this and is what I did, and it's much cheapter than a big unibit (though the unibit would probably be nice to have as well). You might check the plans for size though. I think I have a bit out in the garage that is 7/8", but maybe I bought that for something else... can't remember.

Wood Bit

I see this is an old thread, but just in case someone else finds it.... I used a cheap paddle bit for wood. It has sharp projections on the edges of the paddles. It cut a perfect hole.

Greenlee Punch Kit

A greenlee punch kit is a good investment. It will come in handy for doing the firewall pass-through holes.

Back