What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Single Landing Light Placement

mhcflyer

Well Known Member
I'm installing a single leading edge landing light using a Duckwork kit. Which wing, right or left, would you install the light and why?

Thanks
Michael

....and which rib bay would you put it in? Towards the tip, the tank or some where in between?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 Tip-up

....and which rib bay would you put it in? Towards the tip, the tank or some where in between?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 Tip-up

Cut the hole as far outboard as possible - the last bay. The leading edge of the wing is structurally important, so you don't want to cut any unnecessary holes in it, and when you do cut holes in it, you want 'em as far outboard as possible.

As an aside, if I was doing it again (or could retrofit without messing up the paint on my airplane), I'd have a light in each wing. It would make night landings far easier.

You need two lights if building a tail dragger, one aimed down for taxi, the other more straight ahead for approach up to flare. Taxi light on the left if side by side.

John Siebold

My RV-6 has both the landing and taxi lights in the left wing near the tip. It works very well for me. I flew a Cessna 120 perhaps 400 night hours with no landing light at all. Just a few night landings in my RV-6 has me spoiled. It's a piece of cake.

Left Side it is

Thanks guys, Look like it is the left wing (i.e. Pilot side), between the last two formers.

--
Michael

You need two lights if building a tail dragger, one aimed down for taxi, the other more straight ahead for approach up to flare. Taxi light on the left if side by side.

John Siebold
And they need to be on different switches. Nothing like taxiing around with the landing light aimed up into the eyes of other pilots.

Good advice folks. Easier access for installation in the outer bay too. Trouble is I only have one light, and one switch on the panel for my 6. Time to start thinking about retro fits.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring

I put my single light in the right -9A wing. Why?
It'll balance out the pilot sitting left of CL?
Vans built the 9A proto like that?

Steve

Good advice folks. Easier access for installation in the outer bay too. Trouble is I only have one light, and one switch on the panel for my 6. Time to start thinking about retro fits.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring
Jim,

The Duckworth kits are an easy retrofit. Probably the hardest part will be getting the wire down the wing w/o interfering with the push tube or aileron bell crank.

Back