What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introduction & RV-10 Flying Qualities Question

FlyerJumper

Well Known Member
In the suggested format, here goes...

Name: Mark & Angela
City: Fort Worth, TX
Configuration: RV-10
Engine: IO-540
Prop: CS (Undecided on Specifics)

Introduction: My wife and I have made the decision, but not the financial commitment just yet, to build an RV-10. We?re both former skydivers, and both love to fly. I?m a recently licensed pilot (a little over a year) and have been day dreaming a lot more lately about flying than jumping. Both hobbies together were just unsustainable from a monetary standpoint, so after 13+ years of jumping out of ?perfectly good airplanes? we?ve decided to take a little time off from jumping to pursue our new passion.
Pilot photo: [To come]
Project photo: [To come]
Web page: [To come]

Hello All,

I?m looking forward to diving into the world of RV?s. My wife and I are already making plans to do just that. The best part of the deal is that she?s just as excited as I am? maybe more!

Here?s a question? During our build (which we?re expecting to take ~4 years) we?ll be renting aircraft from the local FBO. I would like to start flying something that?ll more closely mimic the flying qualities of the -10. I understand that the -10 (or any RV for that matter) is an incredible airplane, so nothing will quite be the same. However, I do think I can get something closer than a Cessna 172!

So? any suggestions?

From a layman?s opinion, the logical step seems to be to get into a low wing, CS prop aircraft with a lot more horsepower. But I?m looking for more real world flying qualities experience on the matter. Anybody know of something (in the certified world that?s generally rentable) that comes somewhat close to flaring like an RV-10, stalling like a -10, handles in crosswinds like a -10, etc?

Thanks in advance,
Mark.

Close

Hello Mark:
I can't think of anything that flys like an RV except another RV. :) My brother has an RV9A he just completed in February, he's got 125 hrs on it now. He keeps it in my hanger, where I'm building my RV10.
We're based at Twin Lakes (2OK2) in Oklahoma City. You're welcome to come by anytime you'd like. There's 4 RV's under construction at the airport right now, a 4, 7A, 9A, & my 10. Some of the experienced tank builders & I are going to start prosealing my tanks this weekend. Might be a good time to visit. :D
The only thing that comes to mind, as far as certified, that's close to the RV10, I think would be a Bonanza. I'm probably wrong, but that's the only thing I can think of.
Give me a call anytime (405) 799-6049 (h), (405) 417-6077 (cell).
Good luck.

Marshall Alexander
RV10
wings/tanks

building time

My friend finished his RV10 this spring. For insurance purposes he needed 3 hours transistion time in the factory RV10 and 7 more hours in high preformance. The 7 hour he used a Cessna 205.

Kent

Arlington

Hello Mark,

I am getting ready to order the 10 myself. I am based out of Arlington (GKY). Maybe we can help each other out!

Mark Hanley

Thanks

Marshall: Thanks for the invite. Won't be able to do it this weekend, but 166NM to 2OK2 (we fly out of FWS) we could be seeing you sometime...

Kent: I'm glad you mentioned the insurance aspect of it... forgot about that part. Sad, but tailoring the aircraft I fly now to appease the insurance company later is something I should consider also. Might save me some grief in the future.

Mark: Good to hear somebody local is in a similar situation. When do you plan to get started? We're looking for tools now, and in the beginning stages of setting up the garage. 1st kit should be in Nov.

Insurance

I don't think I'd let insurance get in the way. I feel people get too concerned about insurance. My brother didn't have any insurance till the day before he test flew, he'd forgotten about it. I have about 700 hrs in 150s & 172s. If I can't get insurance on the -10 without a bunch of rented hours in something similar, I'll fly without it. :eek:

Marshall Alexander
RV10
wings/tanks

To each his own.

RV10Man said:
I don't think I'd let insurance get in the way. I feel people get too concerned about insurance. My brother didn't have any insurance till the day before he test flew, he'd forgotten about it. I have about 700 hrs in 150s & 172s. If I can't get insurance on the -10 without a bunch of rented hours in something similar, I'll fly without it. :eek:

Marshall Alexander
RV10
wings/tanks

Some people feel ok about self-insurance and some don't. Of course you are not required to have insurance, but...

I was glad I had it in my C-172, a wind gust tipped me over while I was swinging the compass. Bent the end of the wing and the prop struck the ground. The insurance company (Avemco - good company) paid for the $20,000.00 repair. Also even if you are will to risk your RV10 (+$100,000.00), the insurance protects from libality. There is a tendancy for people think that they have been damaged by aviators or airplanes to think that here is some money to be made in court :eek: . I want the insurance company in there fighting for me.

Kent

experience and flying

Mark,
Read your question today. Here are some thoughts. Get training in any RV. It will aquaint you to high performance and maybe even taildragging if you wish. Once you learn to manage the higher speeds, you won't have any problem flying the ten. You might try flying a 180 Warrior, that was the closest I flew before flying my fiirst RV6. The ten will be a docile performer on landing. You just have to learn to manage the speeds and operate a complex aircraft if that is what you build.
On insurance, call AOPA and they will help you out. After about 50 hours in type, the price will drop. I don't recommend flying without it. Too big an investment on your part and if someone (God forbid) should get hurt you would lose a lot.
Roger Hirschbein
(Woodman)

Thanks

Roger,

Good info... thanks!

I've been planning on moving from the 172 over to an Archer to start getting into low wing aircraft. Considering the Archer because the local FBO has one, in addition to an Arrow. I figured the Arrow would be a good step up from the Archer, but it still won't get me any high HP time.

One step at a time I guess...

Mark.

Holy necro-posts

The RV10 is a very docile aircraft with very pleasant flying qualities. It is only slightly heavier on the controls than the 2 seat RV’s.

You do realize you’re replying to 17-year old threads with this and your other recent posts, right?

Last edited:
Back