What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quirky Things Seen From The Air in Your RV

A picture of two ballistic missile subs and an empty dry-dock at the Bangor sub base located on the Hood Canal in Washington State. Taken today, 1/30/2020, while out and about in the RV-8.

It looks like they have some kind of netting around them. Is that why they call them 'sub pens'? :D

Been looking at this for a few years now, in my test/aerobatics area. Finally managed to get a decent picture:

img_2421.jpg

Don't know what it is. Maybe some kind of land management test plot. Can't really make it out in the picture but has some kind of metal cages in each of the squares.

Also shows many of the round blank areas in the sagebrush around anthills.

Technology challenged?

Been looking at this for a few years now, in my test/aerobatics area. Finally managed to get a decent picture:

img_2421.jpg

Don't know what it is. Maybe some kind of land management test plot. Can't really make it out in the picture but has some kind of metal cages in each of the squares.

Also shows many of the round blank areas in the sagebrush around anthills.
With all this technology, One would think they could make a decent chess board.

This is a large scale ecological field experiment, likely using the fences to manipulate the desert food web. You can google "The Portal Project" for a famous example in Arizona, but this one looks like it might be a different experiment. Where are you?

This is a large scale ecological field experiment, likely using the fences to manipulate the desert food web. You can google "The Portal Project" for a famous example in Arizona, but this one looks like it might be a different experiment. Where are you?

This is just east of Vernon, UT. on BLM land. That matches my guess. I ought to drive out and look on the ground, 1:30 via car on Google. instead of 20 minutes via RV.

Vlad, have you been into Miracle Mile? What's its condition these days?

It's been many years since I've landed there.

Dave

Vlad, have you been into Miracle Mile? What's its condition these days?

It's been many years since I've landed there.

Dave

Yes I have been there Dave. Not a typical RV surface I would say it’s like Russian Flats of Montana. Leave you fairings at home and come not painted :)

Mirical Mile.

Vlad, have you been into Miracle Mile? What's its condition these days? It's been many years since I've landed there. Dave

Not a typical RV surface I would say it’s like Russian Flats of Montana. Leave you fairings at home and come not painted

It's a good Cub strip. Plenty long but pretty rough. Yeah: leave the fairings at home and expect a rough landing and departure. The South end is 'much better' than the North end. Overfly it first. Bring your tiedowns. There are tiedown rings but only about 3 sets, as I recall. The River is a good walk downhill off the mesa. Great out-of-the-way place to spend time. Week days are less busy with camper traffic than week end. No facilities other than a restroom. Come equipped.

Ancient structures......

Somewhere in Utah in the middle of nowhere. I have no idea what it is.

Those are likely pretty old and may have been used for grain storage. They put them up on a mesa to discourage animals from getting in them. You can see quite a few of those in the Four Corners area......

Somewhere in Utah in the middle of nowhere. I have no idea what it is.

That's Fort Bottom Ruin in Canyonlands National Park. Around 700 years old, so we don't know for sure what it was used for. Maybe a home/defensive structure. Grain storage is usually smaller.

Hi Vlad, Noel here. What camera are you using these days?

It’s a Nikon D5500 already outdated. With Nikkor 18-140 mm VR lens. Easy to shoot one handed good grip and you can zoom with just a finger. Glad to hear from you Noel! Planning to visit my woods anytime soon?

That's Fort Bottom Ruin in Canyonlands National Park. Around 700 years old, so we don't know for sure what it was used for. Maybe a home/defensive structure. Grain storage is usually smaller.

Very impressive thank you Brian!

It’s a Nikon D5500 already outdated. With Nikkor 18-140 mm VR lens. Easy to shoot one handed good grip and you can zoom with just a finger. Glad to hear from you Noel! Planning to visit my woods anytime soon?

Woods? Vlad - you have woods where you live?

My guess is that it's ritualistic / religious in nature. We have the same setup on our farm in South Africa and I we had an anthropologist give us a lecture on this once. Obviously it's only a theory but it seems plausible and well researched.

You'll usually find a site like this overlooking or looking towards another larger mountain or mountain peak to which the locals would pray. The slightly offset silo symbolises the intermediary through which you would pray as it would be disrespectful to pray directly to the god. This ritual originally comes from the Sanskrit people in India where they would pray towards the Himalayas.

Obviously it could also have been used to transmit smoke signals... You make a fire inside the silo and it's transmitted to another hilltop destination where the same setup would be present.

they wanted to heat the out building on top of their rock pile but there was only one size heat duct available and they did not have a tool to cut it to the right length. Or maybe they are planning on moving the out building further up the hill and do not have ability to splice the duct.

Cool

Hey those are awesome Vlad....reminds me of the episode of the Twilight Zone where the pax jet hit some strange turbulence which turned out to be a time warp......when they descended to what was the NYC area when they saw the ground there was nothing but dinosaurs instead of an airport! I forget how it ended but your pics reminded me of it:D

That particular episode of The Twilight Zone ended with the passenger jet climbing back up to altitude, reentering the time warp and descending back to NYC in pre-jet engine days. Jet contacts the tower and gets questioned as to what "jet engines" are. "Please explane".

The beasts of Colorado :)

Colorado_-_1_(1).jpeg

Vlad violated restricted airspace and photographed targets at a top secret bombing range used by the US military to train for potential escapes of genetically engineered dinosaurs from theme parks.

It's highly classified...don't tell anybody. ;)

ds

Last edited:
Ahhhh yes....

That particular episode of The Twilight Zone ended with the passenger jet climbing back up to altitude, reentering the time warp and descending back to NYC in pre-jet engine days. Jet contacts the tower and gets questioned as to what "jet engines" are. "Please explane".

Hey Noel.....thanks for the memory jog(those bytes were lost off my cranial hard drive)....I remember being very young when I saw that which made me scared to ever fly on a jet airplane......which is why I decided to go with an RV as opposed to a Citation X(well one of the reasons anyway $$$ :rolleyes: )

The Barringer meteor crater near Flagstaff, AZ on my inaugural cross country flight in my (new to me) RV-10 from Albuquerque to the Bay Area!

Attachments

• IMG_4374.jpg
    IMG_4374.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Im not sure but I think the owner was in Terminator.

If that isnt correct, they are either coal to coke ovens or charcoal ovens. Considering the coal deposits in your part of the country, I would bet on the coal to coke ovens.

I am surprised you didnt just land and read the sign!! Have fun my friend!

Northrop's abandoned radar test range in Tejon, CA:
20190326_152628.jpg

About the last thing we tested there was "Hitler's Stealth Fighter" (Horten Ho 229) as seen on the History channel. Today that model hangs in the San Diego Air and Space Museum. I got to design the 3-d CAD model from the original blueprints since I was the only guy in our dept who could read German...
_MG_0742.jpg

Here it is in the shop where we built it on rollout day for employees.

_MG_0169.jpg

Last edited:
Back