What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aircraft drill bits for 1/4" hex tool ???

BruceW

Well Known Member
Have a nice 90 degree Milwaukee Cordless Right Angle Impact Driver.
Looking for ways to get #30 and #40 drill bits in for the RV build.

Short hex to drill bits in #30 and #40 would be ideal. Where to find ???
Next would be hex to threaded bit adapter. Where to find ???
Last is hex to keyless drill check. But looks like that takes up too much room and defeats the 90 degree purpose.

Advice appreciated.
Thanks.

Threaded bits

Have a nice 90 degree Milwaukee Cordless Right Angle Impact Driver.
Looking for ways to get #30 and #40 drill bits in for the RV build.

Short hex to drill bits in #30 and #40 would be ideal. Where to find ???
Next would be hex to threaded bit adapter. Where to find ???
Last is hex to keyless drill check. But looks like that takes up too much room and defeats the 90 degree purpose.

Advice appreciated.
Thanks.

The easiest is buy a 90 degred adapter and threaded bits. Everything is 1/4-28 which is also the same thread as the speed deburring and countersink cutters.

Thanks Larry. Yup have that too, but its kind of clunky holding the drill and keeping the adapter from rotating.
A single 90 degree tool like the Milwaukee allows for single handed use in tight spaces.

90 degred tool

Thanks Larry. Yup have that too, but its kind of clunky holding the drill and keeping the adapter from rotating.
A single 90 degree tool like the Milwaukee allows for single handed use in tight spaces.

The threaded bit set comes with a hex threaded adapter. Easy to check into a 90 degree drill. If it's too long, cut it short.

Invest in a decent 90* right angle pneumatic drill that uses the screw in drill bits. I like mine so much that I have three of them so I don't have to switch out drill bits very often. Two of them I bought used and under $100.

Attachments

• 301118_2000x2000.jpg
    301118_2000x2000.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 100
If you do find an adapter you will likely end up with bad holes using it, a good drill/chuck is actually a precision tool, bad drill-bad holes.

Invest in a decent 90* right angle pneumatic drill that uses the screw in drill bits. I like mine so much that I have three of them so I don't have to switch out drill bits very often. Two of them I bought used and under $100.
No need to read any further than the above post! Well, except to read my response. That is the WINNER, WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!

Thanks for the replies.
Have me thinking again of a 90* right angle pneumatic drill.
Thou I have become a fan of the M12 Milwaukee tools.
No lanky hose to connect. Batteries work great.

But like the short reach of an angle pneumatic drill.
And no adapters.

MYO

If (and this may be a BIG if) you have access to a small lathe, and can silver solder - MYO

A little 1/4" hex stock from the Aviation Division of McMaster-Carr, a bit of lathe work and silver soldering base to drill, and you have a custom drill. May not be perfect, and may not last forever - but if it does what you need?

The two shown I use for light hole deburring in a light duty hex driver.

HFS

Attachments

• Hex Base Drill Bits.jpg
    Hex Base Drill Bits.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 85
Back