What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jet blast --pricey aftermath

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
So the Cessna 340 had its rudder damaged by the jet blast when a jet was doing a full power runup less that 100 yards away (see previous post). There's a company in the midwest that will swap your damaged rudder for one they've already rebuilt and have in stock -- that's about $8,000.

But the rest of the flight controls need to be checked as well, since there was so much wind blast. (My Cessna 175 needed all of them rebuilt after surviving a 74 knot microburst up the tail...)

But the jet blast also rotated the plane in its tiedown, so the gear will have to be swung a few times to make sure that it's still in alignment, and that nothing else is wrong.

The adjuster estimates that the total will be between ten and fifteen grand.

Makes an RV seem really affordable, even if it doesn't carry as much...

My favorite tie-down story...

Parked a C-17 at a east side of Adriatic airport.

Come back from an ice storm layover to find 3 apparently long suffering LET 410 twin tuboprops not far behind our spot.

No tow bar available.

Have an extra pilot, so I grab a survival radio and have the jet tune up the backup freq.

Close up after cranking, walk back to the turboprops. Have crew add power slowly and judge the wind. Eventually our jet creeps away while not over blasting the light twins.

Thankfully they did stop and pick me up. I don't do a good Scott O'Grady imitation. The airport manager was not amused with our efforts to avoid uncle from cutting someone a check.

Microburst

We had a microburst rip a roof off a T-hangar and twist my Cherokee in it's tie-down spot. When I got to the airport a few days later the struts on the Cherokee were completely collapsed. Yeah, I would check those Cessna landing gear REALLY well.

Back