What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

riveting cabin top with overhead

rvdave

Well Known Member
Was just refitting cabin top after sanding overhead and realized I may have to use pulled rivets at the point where cabin top/overhead meets aft skin. Is there a layer of glass that should be laid to cover the forward row of rivets?

Dave Ford
RV6 flying
RV10 building

Was just refitting cabin top after sanding overhead and realized I may have to use pulled rivets at the point where cabin top/overhead meets aft skin. Is there a layer of glass that should be laid to cover the forward row of rivets?

The plans call for CS4-4 blind rivets on that row without an overhead, so there really isn't an issue.

Most folks use a layer of glass to cover the gap between the fiberglass and aluminum, which in turn will cover these rivets.

bob

I had to do the same thing. I also installed the vents tubes in advance, which were in the way of 4 rivets, so I used some cherry max 3/32 in those areas also.

Glass is the answer

Glassing the seam is the easiest way to accomplish your task. Done right it looks great.
R Means
N595rv
120 hours and flying straight

Back