What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One more RV-10 in the sky

tc1234c

Well Known Member
N718PF flew the first time this afternoon. Almost two years ago (4/23/2009) I picked up the empennage kit from the ABF shipping terminal. I have never flown a RV-10 before. I was pleasantly surprised how it jumped into the air when I pushed power in. Unlike my RV9A it does sink faster (fixed pitch vs constant speed propellers). However, both are joy to fly.

At this point I have not ordered interior yet. The empty weight is 1,571 lb.

IMG_9670.JPG

Nice work!

Congratulations Ted! Don't get it painted.....I just put mine in for a month and miss it already.

No wonder we haven't seen you on VAF recently :) you were working on your ten 24/7. Congratulations Ted! You frequent our woods come to see a broadway show after Phase One, I have a spot under the roof at 39N. Did you install APRS TV in your new bird?

Sweet. I can hardly wait to get into the building frenzy again. You are just tossing gasoline on the fire. Nice photograph, too. Kudos to the photographer.

Congratulations Ted...

I know how good that must feel after two years of hard work. Yours will have some company this fall. Have fun and can't wait to go up with you.

Congrats, it is a wonderful aircraft. The performance is spectacular when lightly loaded as you found out. You will definitely love the extra room for traveling. Enjoy your new toy.

Congratulations on your first flight, I know the feeling as ours was less than a year ago.
Pierre
We flew ours off grass the first flight, but elected to land at the nearby asphalt municipal airport. We made numerous takeoffs and landings before returning to my grass strip.
This spring we managed to get the 10 out before it got too soft (barely) , inpreparation for our trip to Sun n Fun. We haven't got it back here yet due to soft conditions. Being new to the RV family of aircraft, we don't know it's capabilities with less than perfict grass field conditions and are cautioning on the good side. Other years, I have my amphibs on my SuperCub and the strip is great by now.
Ron

We have had bad weather in the past week and more to come in the coming days. Yesterday was the only beautiful day with calm wind. On Wednesday (day before yesterday) Cincy FSDO inspector braved thunderstorm and flood drove two hours to my hangar to inspect my plane. With all these what else can I ask for?

Originally I was planning to spend four years to build this airplane and sell it to my son at cost. Half way through the build I changed my mind. I am still willing to share with him:p. I am sure that we will have many happy flying hours together.

Vlad, congratulation on finding a place for your 9A. We are already planning a trip for June. For now I am keeping its beautiful paint scheme. The picture is kind of misleading. My wife was taking the picture from the taxi way that is lower than the runway. From her angle the grass on the slope block the view of the runway surface. Here are more pictures and a few video clips. You will notice that I overshot on final and had to come back. The stall buzzer was on at times since it was not calibrated yet. I was doing more than 70 kts.

https://picasaweb.google.com/tc1234c/4212011N718PFFirstFlight#

I pass on my title of "Newest RV-10 in the World" to you. I had it for 6 days.

I have the same paint scheme, white primer on top and shiny aluminum on bottom :)

Subsequent Posts Moved!!

Shortly after this last post, Ted had an in-flight fire and forced landing which engendered many pages of really good posts on the subject of an in-flight fire, it's cause, and the emergency landing. These posts might very well have been missed by a lot of folks because of th thread title, so I have moved them (intact) to a new thread that can be found here:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=71743

Back