What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sharing the RV Grin

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
rvgrin8fo.jpg

This morning at 0845, N188PD left the ground for the first time under her own power. Wow!!! There is no doubt in my mind that I picked the right airplane!!

The weather was perfect, with no wind, temps in the high 60's, clear and a million. The only problems were a bad comm cord on my helmet and the RPM only reading 1800 at full throttle. Believe me, she's turnign more than that! (Must have something set wrong in the EIS or EFIS.) Approach to stalls were benign, slow flight comfortable, and the landing was smooth. No leaks, drips, or oil stains anywhere.

I'm going to go watch the Snowbirds do their show at the Wings Over Houston airshow, then head back out for an evening run in the RV. Oh goody - tomorrow is a holiday for us Govmt types....I can fly it again!

Many thanks to ALL of the people that I have met- a few in person, and most on the web - that have contributed advice and help during the build process. For the record, my log shows 1040 hours spread over 18.5 months since the tail kit arrived. Of course, she still needs paint before I'll call her finished, but now I can start looking for a buyer for my Grumman.

Did I say Wow!!!! This thing goes like a scalded cat - my chase pilot in his C-205 asked "who's chasing who?!"

Paul Dye
RV-8 N188PD - Flying!

That is a sincere smile

That is a sincere smile Paul, it even makes me feel good. Many happy hours ahead! I'm sure you will keep photos of your faithful Grumman as I have my Archer but man these RVs are a whole different breed. You give up some convenience and utility but the performance is worth it. We are heading out for LOE Friday morning.

Bob Axsom

Way to go, Paul!!!!

Oustanding pic and report. Can't wait to see it in person!

Best,
Doug

Thanks!

Thanks everyone - and for those still working, you BET it's worth it!

I went out for another session in the evening, just for engine break-in. Fixed the Tach calibration (yup, a mis-set paramter in the EIS), and just enjoyed the view of the Gulf Coast while letting the engine run at 75%.

I've always felt that the two-place Grummans are incredibly responsive airplanes (and they are), but just as I had been told, the RV-8 just goes where you think it to go....I just can't wait to fly again tomorrow!

One morepicture from my ground crew...

upandaway3rl.jpg

Paul

first flight big RV grin

WooHoo!!! N316RL flew today staight and true just the way it was supposed to. Very easy to land and handle. What a rush! Thanks to all for the advice over the past years of building. And that brake chatter from yesterday faded into the background after a little more taxi and flight. Very excited from Illinois Randy

Congrtulations!

Congrtulations on your first flight. May you have many more to come.

I told you that brake noise would go away when you flew. :)

Roger Ping
RV-9

Great job, Randy !!

You are going to really enjoy that airplane. Speaking of which, what is it ? :)

Cheers

Congrats to you on that! It's so sweet to see first flight notifications...they provide inventive for me to get started on my own! =)

Enjoy the flying!

Randy,
Way to go!! What model did you build? I'm not too from from you. McLean, IL. Private strip, 1IL9, (14 S.W. of BMI) I farm also. I've been flying my 7 for one year now. Let me know when you have your time flown off. We'll have to meet up somewhere.

congratulations

Randy,
Congratulations on your first flight. May I ask who you had inspect your airplane as I am from southern IL (effingham) & hope to need an inspector by summer. Also how large an area did he give you to fly in originally?
Thanks,
Stan Bahrns RV7A QB

RV Grin

Well, in just over three hours I'll have my first flight in an RV (unless the weather rolls in). A local RV-8 owner is taking me up. So I am fully expecting to come home tonight with an "RV-grin" :)

You're gonna love it!

I got my first flight in an RV7 last week. kevinh (board member) took me up in his beautiful 7A. I was absolutely amazed at the stabiliy and agility of that little thing. I've been building my 7A on faith knowing that I'd chosen the right plane for me but Kevin's demo flight sealed it. My comparison between the RV and the 172's that I've flown is akin to comparing the flight characteristics of a bird and a brick.

Last edited:
On Friday, June 15, 2001, Bob "Pop" Owens was kind enough to take me up for a spin in his and Laird Owens' RV-6, N515L. It was my first flying exposure to RVs. The airplane was light, fast, comfortable, and it handled just absolutely beautifully. I hadn't flown anything like it, and I was hoooked. Since then, I gleaned a tremendous amount of info, ideas, and help from Laird and Pop. There's no doubt they deserved Van's Finder's Fee, and I named 'em on the form.

More than 5 years later, I finally got a photo of my "RV Grin" as a handful of us SoCal RVers flew home from Oshkosh together. It was Pop's first time to Oshkosh, and likewise it was my first time. Here's Pop and me standing by the RV-6 that "started it all" for me.
20060728_pop_dan_rv_grin.jpg

To be able to fly alongside the people and the plane that brought me into this RV community...it was a real trip.

Last edited:
Very close to finishing the empennage on my RV-8. Have built it totally on faith that it is the right choice in design...etc.
As of yet, I have never ridden in any RV...and only actually seen one
RV-8, and that was months after I started building....
So...congradulations on your recent RV grin genesis...

built on faith?

wondering how many of us bought pieces parts before riding in/flying an rv. looking to order the finishing kit shortly here, and have yet to fly in any rv.

Just call me.........

James, James, James,
I'm a stone's throw from you! I'm in Louisville, Ga (2J3) and I'll either come to Savannah or you come up here......your call and the time will also be in your logbook as transition training. An RV builder is a special person and the ride is on me....the gas on you,
Regards, ;)

Laird and Pop Owen's also inspired my -7 build, and I bought my tail without having had a ride. Shortly after ordering it, I got my first ride from Dan, and knew I had made the right choice...

Thanks to both :)

WOW

WOW...

We got up to 2000 feet, and Mark said "ok, before you take control, just put your hand on the stick, and feel how small the control movements are". You barely had to touch the thing, and it responded. I took control. The first thing I noticed is that I really didn't have to do anything to fly it... it was so well trimmed and well balanced that I could pretty much let go of the stick and it flew itself, with only small inputs from me to keep the wings level.
Then I tried some turns. The thing that amazed me the most was how fast the roll rate is. I've never flown in a fighter, but I imagine it must be something like what I experienced in the RV-8. Just a tiny flick of the wrist, and with zero hesitation, the plane is rolling sharply. Just beautiful. I put it into a steep turn, almost 70 degrees of bank, and about 2.4 G, and that's the minute I got the RV grin.

I'm building a 9A, which I expect will be somewhat more docile than the 8. How will the roll rate compare? If a katana rates a "1" for roll rate, and the RV-8 rates a "10" for roll rate, where would the RV-9A fall in that scale?

Glad you enjoyed yourself, Phil. You got the hang of it almost immediately. Awesome.

Just as a little more incentive, Linda and I took the -8 to Toronto (Island Airport) for the weekend. What normally was a 5+ hour drive was an hour and seven minute flight, landing along the shore line right in front of the CN Tower. Woo hoo !

Cheers

Sold another one

Last Saturday I took a friend of mines kid up for a ride. I say he is kid, but he is 26 and flies F16's out of Tulsa OK. He said the ride probably cost him $75K!!!! Now he as to decide on the 8 or 7. The Fighter pilot tells him to get the 8. The wife would probably like the 7 better.

I love giving rides. Even for those who aren't interested in building or owning a plane the ride is often life changing. For those who are interested in building, it usually puts them over the edge.

Man, I feel like a drug dealer, "the first hit is free." I sometimes feel bad, well not really!!!

'nuther RV grin!

Well I finally did it, couldn't stand it anymore. Less talk - more do! So I flew out to Vans this morning, toured the shop with Ken, took a hop (windy, bumpy, and fun!) in the 9A demonstrator, and wrote a check. I must say, I like that airplane! :D:D

Let the bending of metal commence!

I rode in that airplane once--believe me, it isn't nearly as nice as yours will be! Now, go buy some more tools.

Bob Kelly

9A empennage kit ordered, in transit! Wife under sedation! Divorce attorney on standby!
Greg,

Congratulations!

The way I see it, you are going to spend your money on one of the following:
A) RV-9A
B) Sedatives
C) Divorce Attorney
D) Two of the above
E) All of the above

;)

Let's hope it is only A!

Still working to get our act together. One day....

HAPPY BUILDING!
Michael & Anita

Don't give up - keep at it. Planning, dreaming, and scheming, one piece at a time. I let various people talk me out of it for various reasons for about 6 years before I finally decided that this was BS - they get to live their life, and I get to live mine. If they don't like the airplane, they don't have to fly in it, but nobody gets to tell me I can't.

With you in spirit

Ordered 7A empenage yesterday

wife is in denial
still hasnt seen the compressor I snuck in the garage
says she'll never fly in it
No money left for divorce attorney

With you in spirit brother!

Ordered 7A empenage yesterday

wife is in denial
still hasnt seen the compressor I snuck in the garage
says she'll never fly in it
No money left for divorce attorney

Hang in there. My wife was like that at first but over the months (years) it takes to construct the plane, your wife will be able to meet other builders, pilots and their wives. Get active in your local EAA chapter and over time she will hopefully grow to accept the idea. Plan a nice romantic weekend getaway that involves flying the plane and share with her all the possibilities.

Trouble with that idea is that my wifes idea of romantic weekend getaway involves a couple thousand miles of Pacific Ocean to Hawaii - more range than I'll have!

If I ever get mine done, i won't be able to keep my girlfriend out of it! We've already decided she is going to build her own.

Have fun building!

Well - my tail kit showed up today! My wife was not too happy about it, I got some distinctly nasty looks and a couple of politically incorrect comments, and I'll probably be eating Ramen Noodles tonight - but I've still got my scalp and I'm still married, so it's not all bad! :D

Trouble with that idea is that my wifes idea of romantic weekend getaway involves a couple thousand miles of Pacific Ocean to Hawaii - more range than I'll have!

Yep, I'd be set if cruise ships had a runway as that is my wifes idea of a romantic getaway! :rolleyes:

-Ron

Humor..

Well - my tail kit showed up today! My wife was not too happy about it, I got some distinctly nasty looks and a couple of politically incorrect comments, and I'll probably be eating Ramen Noodles tonight - but I've still got my scalp and I'm still married, so it's not all bad! :D
.........Humor can work magic, Greg........I think..

Regards, and congratulations,

You can make the Bahamas in a day and a couple of stops (make it three to be safe :)) from TX.

Get a BIG map

Hang it up in your shop. Tack a string over your home town. Draw two hour circles, centered on your home town. Add pins on all the cool places you can go together. In-laws, out-laws, vacation spots, etc. That helped a lot!

When she found out we could be in Myrtle Beach in less than an hour, the Mrs. was all over it!

Thanks Jerry for giving my wife an RV Grin!

The title says it all.

Last edited:
Cool! I've given thirty rides in my RV and five in my Rocket.

I hope she's not lusting after another man's RV! :)

Back