What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3M paint protection film

Larkrv10

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out how much of the 3M film I need for my -10. Flyboy Accessories sells it in 2, 4, 6" widths by the running foot. Is the 2" wide enough? I have fitted my unpainted flaps and ailerons to the wing but couldn't decide on a definitive width. Also should I apply it to the ailerons as well?
Thx and regards,
Rick
Southampton, ont

Does this answer your question? I guess the -10 would need the same as the -9

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1436607452-446-474&browse=misc&product=uhmwtape

It's only needed on the flap to prevent scraping against the shroud. I bought a large roll as it is not the easiest thing in the world to put on. I ended up doing it in sections of about 2'.

It shows fingerprints as grubby marks so you need clean hands - gloves don't work as they just stick to the tape. All in all, not the easiest job on the list!

I don't recall the exact width I used, but I installed it on the bottom of the overhang of the top wing skin over the flaps. It's out of sight and if it yellows, nobody will see it. Just measure from the aft end of the wing to the first joint.

I don't recall the exact width I used, but I installed it on the bottom of the overhang of the top wing skin over the flaps. It's out of sight and if it yellows, nobody will see it. Just measure from the aft end of the wing to the first joint.

Hmmm....

The problem, as I see it, is that the trailing edge of the wing top skin scrapes the front of the flap. I don't see how putting the tape under the overhang can stop that. I put the tape on the top leading edge of the flap. I agree it's not the prettiest solution but it is hidden when the flap is up.

What I found impossible was to do it in one piece - it's so sticky it either bubbles or creases. Smaller sections made it controllable with 2 people.

What I found impossible was to do it in one piece - it's so sticky it either bubbles or creases. Smaller sections made it controllable with 2 people.

Use a spray bottle and squirt some lightly soapy water on the surface, it allows the film to be easily moved into place in 1 piece and be moved around for final fitting. Very easy to do with two people.

Use a spray bottle and squirt some lightly soapy water on the surface, it allows the film to be easily moved into place in 1 piece and be moved around for final fitting. Very easy to do with two people.

+1 - read the 3M bulletin about making this solution and application. They have great tech sheets and videos. They recommend a few drops of tearless baby shampoo for this. The film is widely used in automotive as localized chip guard, and it comes in various thicknesses. My 7 will be getting some to avoid paint erosion of the HS leading edge from the sand storm of ground ops. BTW - It won't yellow.

I bought the 6" wide, and split it down to 3".

I closed the flaps and used some masking tape to denote the edge of the area I needed to protect, then opened the flaps and laid the protective film up against the tape line. Easy one person job, just roll the film up with the backing paper still on, backing to the outside of the roll, peal back a foot or so, locate it and press down-------peel back another foot or so, align press down, repeat.

1+ what Bob said. I installed mine(using the soapy water method) 5-6 years ago. Still no scratches in the flap paint. Just run the aft edge of the tape a little aft of the wing skin, then trim with a razor blade or scapel.

Hmmm....

The problem, as I see it, is that the trailing edge of the wing top skin scrapes the front of the flap. I don't see how putting the tape under the overhang can stop that. I put the tape on the top leading edge of the flap. I agree it's not the prettiest solution but it is hidden when the flap is up.

I have seen it scraping the entire length, partial length, and not at all. I suspect that depends on the quality of build, how the wings were stored, and potentially how well the flaps were aligned.

One of locals made a jig that allows you to adjust the trailing edge so that it becomes parallel to the flaps (for those that are partially scraping) and allows you to position the edge with minimal clearance and not scraping at all.

It doesn't take much movement to this and you don't want to bend it too much.

3M tape

Ok thx guys. I like mike's idea about splitting the 6" tape as it appears the 2" is too narrow and the 4" is probably overkill.
One piece 6" wide times the flap length it is...
Thx, Rick

3" width is about right. Of course, the material isn't available in 3" width, so 4" or 6" is the way to go.

The 4" width, trimmed to 3" will give you a nice piece of material to use elsewhere. Trim it before you remove the backing tape, of course!

Am thinking about applying tape to bottom of wing, to the first rivet line joint is only 1 1/4", otherwise there is a raised row of bucked rivets, is this enough on bottom wing skin to protect full rotation of flap?

I installed it on my leading edge of my wing, about to the end of the fuel tank. I also installed it on the leading edges of the landing gear struts. This helps drastically with any paint chips from the prop that gets kicked up. It is the same stuff they used on the front of my car and, it doesn't yellow!

Steve, so the 1" tape has been enough to protect the flap surface as it turns and rubs against the taped wing bottom?

1" is plenty on the underside of the wing. no tape needed on the flap. ultra smooth flap deploy.

DSCN0804_zpsextc5iqt.jpg~original

Last edited:
That will only work well on the -9 and -10 models with the different flap geometry won't it?

I only know it works on a -9. I measured the width of my teflon today. I only used 1/2 inch width per side. I attached 1/2 inch to the underside of the wing then used an razor knife and trimmed it at the aft edge. I used the trimmed piece for the opposite side.

Back