What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Light out

GHARBEN

N12HR was built in about 1991. The landing light is out. It appears to be rectangular auto light. It has the plastic cover on the right wing. I can't get the plastic cover off. It acts like it is glued on. Any ideas of the bulb type or how to get the cover off. The screws have been removed. Thanks

Sounds like a Duckworth Halogen Landing light to me.

They come with 55 Watt bulbs but have I changed mine out with 100 Watt bulbs as they burned out. (Sylvania 64153 H3-Type 100 Watt or equivalent)

The two of them will light up the runway from 400 feet. Although I keep thinking I would like to replace them with LED's, these work really well with the 100 Watt bulbs.

There should be six screws that hold the cover in place, three on top and three on the bottom. You push the cover in, turn it sideways, and pull it out.

The reflector should be held in with two screws and should come right out.

OR

If you can remove the wingtip, you might be able to get access that way.

The bulbs are just a few dollars each. I would buy two and replace them both.

I just installed the ductworks kits. If that's what you've got, the lenses have a sticky foam gasket sandwiched in there. I suppose it's also possible that somebody glued them in with RTV or something instead of using the gasket.

If you've got all the visible screws removed, there's nothing else holding it in there.

If you break it getting it apart, all is not lost. Duckworks sells the lens blanks for $15.

... I would like to replace them with LED's...

Looks like the cheapest Sylvania 64153 H3-Type 100 Watt are at Advance Auto for $6.99 each and they don't have in stock but they order them pretty quick. Have you researched which LEDs would work well and not break the bank?

Last edited:
Looks like the cheapest Sylvania 64153 H3-Type 100 Watt are at Advance Auto for $6.99 each and they don't have in stock but they order them pretty quick. Have you researched which LEDs would work well and not break the bank?

No, I wanted to do a side-by-side test for KitPlanes with a number of LED options but could only get one vendor to ship me test samples (Thank you Mike Stewart/Kahuna!) and returned them without doing the test.

That was a couple of years ago and I suspect LED's have come a long way since then.

If any of the LED vendors read this, please email me, I would very much like to do this test at our un-lit country strip. [bill (at) repucci (dot) com]

Here are photos he texted me of the light he is talking about:

gtw0WkGl.jpg

3OJevbvl.jpg

Bob Olds Light

Thanks for the help! I will look at those.

GH,
That's actually a Bob Olds light kit, he was a Pre-Duckworks garage business RV4 builder in the 1990's. There are many Fours out there sporting his lights.
The beauty of his light was automotive headlight replacement at Walmart, simple installation and low cost.
My RV4 is equipped with an Olds light kit and Bob kindly gave me the last 6 lenses he had in stock when he closed his business right after 9/11.

The replacement ideas posted above are excellent, you might add LED headlight R&R Lamps to the list, link below.
I can look around and see if I can find you a new lens if you need one. I gave a new one to the current owner of my RV4 The Bandit...:)
V/R
Smokey

https://www.carid.com/lumen/rectang...MI4s-Xw4jk6AIVS73ACh1GiAGSEAQYBCABEgIavPD_BwE
LED Car Headlamp R&R Lights

Last edited:
Did a post on this last year

No, I wanted to do a side-by-side test for KitPlanes with a number of LED options but could only get one vendor to ship me test samples (Thank you Mike Stewart/Kahuna!) and returned them without doing the test.

That was a couple of years ago and I suspect LED's have come a long way since then.

If any of the LED vendors read this, please email me, I would very much like to do this test at our un-lit country strip. [bill (at) repucci (dot) com]

Bill,
You may want to do a post search.
I swapped for LED, and love them.
I included part numbers etc.

Daddyman

Back