What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Missed it by THAT Much?..

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Well, I learned a few things about the FAA N-Number reservation system today ? remember, they are from the FAA, and they are there to help you!
It all began about ten days ago with a PM here on the forums telling me about the PERFECT N-number for our RV-3 that he had run across while surfing the FAA web site. It was mighty generous that he told me, and I thanked him profusely ? after, of course, I went straight to the FAA site, confirmed its availability, and fired off a reservation with a credit card. When you do that, you get an immediate email receipt saying that you have paid $10, but it doesn?t list the N-number that you have asked for, or confirm that you got it. This was on 1 Feb by the way.

I kept checking the FAA site every other day all last week, and it kept showing the number as being available, previously used on a Midget Mustang that was deregistered for export. After a few days of seeing the same thing, I got busy, and didn?t check again until yesterday when voila? - it showed as reserved?.on 7 Feb?..by (sob) someone else! :(Hmmm?..the last I checked, the 7th was after the 1st?.but then again, I am familiar with how the government works, and I am pretty sure what happens is this:

There is one computer system that takes in the reservation requests and puts out a ?receipt? email telling you that your application is in. At some point in time (later on) a hard-working FAA employee collects a batch of applications form this computer, and assigns the numbers requested in the order that the reservations were received in the registration database. And I bet that the date shown in the database is the date that they enter them, not the date that you paid for the application. I confirmed that this is pretty much how it works with a (polite) email to the registration branch. Yup ? the other fellow got in a very short time before I did. So?.the lesson for those out there thinking of grabbing an N-number ? the fact that you paid doesn?t mean that you got it ? and it can take a couple of weeks to find out! Don?t? order those embroidered seat cushions until you have a confirmation letter?..;)

And if the lucky guy who just got ?N3X? is here on the forums, isn?t building a -3, and is interested in a little trade, give me a PM. And if you?re building a -3, congratulations! :DThat is a heck of a number?.

Paul

Fowl play?

Paul,

That sucks...

I watched it also. One thing I noticed is that the new registration and the de-registered aircraft are both in Meridian, Idaho. I've been there and it isn't a very big place. My granddad lived there actually. I suspect the number was "transferred" from one airplane to another and probably should have never been listed as available.

Hope you got a refund from the FAA...

It is hard for me to understand the dalay. I requested N461DG on the 15th of January, still waiting for a yes or no. Talk about slow.

Say it isn't true...

and that you're just kidding! I'm sure that you and Louise are more disappointed than I am, but it's a close race. All is not lost however... a little patience, perseverance, and some cash may do the trick. If not, an unofficial but well organized RV fly-in to Idaho may help. If any bird deserves that N-number, it's Junior! Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Their process frustrates me too, Paul. I seems like it was easier a few years ago.

I did manage to snag the one I wanted a few weeks ago. N325RV But I still don't like the process.

Hope you find one that you like equally well. On a side note, you should keep an eye on N3X next year. The reservations only last 12 months and the last time mine expired I never received any notification; it simply went back into the pool.

So don't give up hope - you might snag it in another 12 months.

Phil

Their process frustrates me too, Paul. I seems like it was easier a few years ago.

I did manage to snag the one I wanted a few weeks ago. N325RV But I still don't like the process.

Hope you find one that you like equally well. On a side note, you should keep an eye on N3X next year. The reservations only last 12 months and the last time mine expired I never received any notification; it simply went back into the pool.

So don't give up hope - you might snag it in another 12 months.

Phil

They do seem to have a one month "slop" built into the year reservation, so check at 13 months too...

When I called to reserve N507H which is our month and year we got married to my present wife I started in November 2010 and did not get a confirmation until January 10, 2011 and then I saw it on line before I got the letter.

I called them on December 15 and the polite FAA employee told me that due to all the new registrations that are being required from previously registared aircraft that they are a little short handed as they have not added any additional personal to help with the process.

So that's what takes so long.

Smilin' Jack
Empenage HS dimpled ready to reassemble after primer this weekend I hope and after surgery today on a tigger finger thumb.

If you really want a number it can sometimes be bought from the current owner. Someone purchased one of my N numbers for his new Gulfstream.

Considering all the registration possibilities in the whole United States..........the number I wanted, 351SL....because it's my birthday (month & year), and somewhat sounds like P-51........was taken by our local police/highway patrol helicopter. Happily, another combination of birthday dates for both my wife and I (328), was good for a couple of years, until I got around to it. Did have it reserved for about five years, though. BTW-- SL on the helicopter stands for Salt Lake. We live in the Salt Lake area, but our SL stands for our first names.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

well..........

you wount be asked every time you talk to atc, 'is that your full call sign?' must of happened for a reason or better n #. good luck.
sr71blackbird.gif
indexid.gif

It is hard for me to understand the dalay. I requested N461DG on the 15th of January, still waiting for a yes or no. Talk about slow.
Do not even get me started on how slow the FAA is. My problems come from re-issuing Special Issuance Medicals. I always hear my medical is on its way from AOPA at least a week before I get it (Unfortuately I still need to wait for the FAA letter to arrive as I have to have the Medical in possesion to fly)

N numbers

They move very slowly. Until a year ago I was still listed as the owner of a helicopter I built 40 years ago at an address that doesn't exist because the house burned to the ground long ago. Sorry you can't get the number you want but really feel sorry for the 1000's of 'wan ta bes' that will dream but never need one.

Hum do they send you a renal notice, better check the date I reserved mine.

They do send a renewal notice....but if you happened to have changed your address in the meantime, you might very well miss it!

Paul

Glancing at this thread prompted me to look at the FAA website to see what is available. I logged on and found MY reserved N-number, N39TT was available !! Seeing something wrong I decided to simply "re-reserve" it so I followed the screens only to get an error message saying that it was no longer available. I shot off an email to the FAA Registry office and they replied this morning saying they had sent out the renewal notice but it was returned as "undeliverable". I haven't moved in many many years, and I know I make mistakes but I'm not sure about this one. The FAA just SEEMS to make a lot of mistakes. And I'm frustrated.
I had the competition number TT assigned to me almost 20 years ago when competing in sailplanes. I want to keep that tradition going so am working to get a one or two digit N-number ending in either T or TT; and I thought I had it with 39TT. Dealing with the FAA can be terribly frustrating. Bottom line is that my airplane will fly just fine without an N-number ...... just thinking.

N3RV

Paul, I'm not sure why N3X is so perfect, but I searched for N3RV (maybe you don't want to be just another "Romeo Victor" out there), and found that it's registered NOT to an RV, but to a Baby Great Lakes out in WA. It could be that the owner doesn't have any love for that N-number and might let it go for a small transaction fee. Worth a shot ...

Paul, I'm not sure why N3X is so perfect, but I searched for N3RV (maybe you don't want to be just another "Romeo Victor" out there), and found that it's registered NOT to an RV, but to a Baby Great Lakes out in WA. It could be that the owner doesn't have any love for that N-number and might let it go for a small transaction fee. Worth a shot ...

Yeah Don, I found that in a search too (N3RV), but having painted airplanes before, the thought of what I would have to have someone pay me to repaint an N-Number keeps a cheap guy like me from asking someone else to do it....;)

I think N3X is just about perfect for the -3 "three, experimental"...doesn't get much simpler than that!

One thing I realized about the process from all these posts is that when you look up the "history" of a number, it only shows what it was "registered" on...so if it has been reserved for awhile, you don't see that progression. I am sure now that N3X was probably never truly available after it was de-registered off that Midget Mustang..probably kept by the owner for re-use, and transfered carefully to a friend. I'd love t have it, but like I said, we have another one that we like well enough...and two others if we change our minds on it...

Paul

Yeah Don, I found that in a search too (N3RV), but having painted airplanes before, the thought of what I would have to have someone pay me to repaint an N-Number keeps a cheap guy like me from asking someone else to do it....;)

You're probably right. However, many builders use vinyl for the N-numbers instead of paint. In my book, it's worth a quick phone call.

But then, I already got my favorite number. :D

Paul,

That is a real shame you missed that number. FWIW, that Midget Mustang, N3X, built by Bruce Whittig of Meridian (Boise), Idaho, was the 1983 EAA Grand Champion Homebuilt. It was a stunner, complete with gold plated rocker covers, automatic comm antenna and a host of other special features. See: Sport Aviation article 14 October 1983.

Jim

My n-number

About 3 years ago I was looking for a N-number. Being a big Packer fan, I originally wanted to get N4GB... And it was going to become available because the airplane it was on was exported...

I missed getting it by like 6 hours (someone reserved it at midnight on the date of expiration)

After the Brett Favre debacle (brett pevreret) I wouldn't want it anyway. I guess it was a good thing in retrospect...

N 34 Mike Echo

N 34 Uniform Sierra

N 34 Lima Papa

Considering it is a "one holer", I kinda like " three for me"

Something ending in "Juliet Romeo" perhaps?;)

I was thinking about this the other day Paul, and thought about "Junior".

683JR (Mama, Papa, Baby) 863JR, 368JR and 386JR all show available.

30JR is also showing, but zero doesn't always roll off the tongue easily with multi-syllable letters (AMHIK ;))

Of course all Texans like the letters J-R, right :D (dating myself!)

Mike's got some really great ones below too. "4 Lima Pop" sounds pretty cool! (Makes it personal too!)

You gonna post a poll so we can pick your N-Number for ya? :p (kiddin'!)

Have fun...kind of a fun part of the build!

Cheers,
Bob

PS: FWIW, someone earlier mentioned that short N-numbers get queried by ATC a lot about what the full N-number is. I did my multi in college in an old C-310, N6DP, and on almost every initial check in as "Twin Cessna 6 Delta Papa", they asked for the full number, and I would say, "November 6 Delta Papa". Kind of a pain (for both ends of the mic). As cool as N3X is, maybe it'll work out even better!

N 34 Mike Echo

N 34 Uniform Sierra

N 34 Lima Papa

Considering it is a "one holer", I kinda like " three for me"

You gonna post a poll so we can pick your N-Number for ya? :p (kiddin'!)

Heck, I'm havin' too much fun watching you and Mike trying to guess what we already have reserved!:p:D

Yeah, the "Say full N-Number" could be a pain...but even with it, it might have been worth it....

Heck, I'm havin' too much fun watching you and Mike trying to guess what we already have reserved!:p:D

We do have a runnin' bet (don't we Mike?). FWIW, I'll share the winnings! :p

But I know Lima aint gonna tell if Pop isn't givin' it up! ;)

Yeah, the "Say full N-Number" could be a pain...but even with it, it might have been worth it....

Yeah, probably woulda been worth it...was just sendin' some feel good vibes about it!

(I know even that won't pry it outta ya...all good...keep it safe, like the formula for Coke...ooops, read today that may have been leaked!) :D

Cheers,
Bob

Short N-numbers

FWIW, I have yet to have ATC ask me for my "whole N-number" when I report in as "Experimental Eight Romeo Victor". Admittedly, I don't fly in the system very often, but I've had my share of radio contacts over the last 1 1/2 years, and it hasn't happened.

The only minor confusion that made me shake my head in wonderment was when departing Cape Girardeau, MO, I heard the tower announce to inbound traffic that there was an "RV-6 climbing out", followed by, "Did you copy Eight Romeo Victor?"

Let's see ... Eight Romeo Victor = RV-6 ... hmmm ... :D

From a 15 Jan request, I received my reservation letter yesterday from FAA. Seems as though I now have N461DG reserved for my RV 12. The SN is 461, my name is Don and my wife is named Geneda. Rolls off easy too as four six one delta golf.

n number

Call one of the title companys in Oak City area and the will probably get the number the same day.$50 years ago, probably a lot more now

By sheer coincidence, I had reserved the N number for my Breezy just a couple of days before this thread started, and it caused me to sweat just a bit. No longer! The letter came in the mail today (although dated 3-3-11) that N187BZ is reserved for me. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that 187BZ was not your plan B for the RV-3, so I feel comfortable posting it here.

Not really, a good registration finishes a project that has taken a lot of building.

In the UK, we have an even more stupid rule that once a registration has been used, it cannot be re used - something about confusion by the CAA......

So, the pool of good registrations gets less and some years ago, many good registrations were lost by idiots registering things that were not flyable.

So, in the RV world, we have still got a few - my 7 is registered G-IVII, it has a Roman 7 in it but more importantly, it gets around another stupid rule about having 12" letters down the side. By using 3 letter I's, it fits on the vertical stab.

Hence a lot of aerobatic and exhibition aeroplanes in the UK use 3 I's so that sponsors logo's can appear down the side.

Now - have a look at Dave Stephen's photo's of his beautifully finished 8..... That registration will be a changing !! The E & I are way too close...

My new 8 in build has G-RVBI reserved.

Back