What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Base Leg You Tube

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Mentor
In the spirit of trying to get maintenance information out a lttle sooner than my columns and books, we've decide to start publishing a 15 minute segment each Friday on Youtube. The thought being that those of you who may be headed out to the airport for some weekend maintenance or flying would take the time to poke around your own airplane for some of the things we are going to be showing you. After all, the weather isn't always conducive to flying and this might give you a reason to work on the plane. :)

We hope you like it. We certainly welcome your feedback, as well as topics that you might like to see us cover.

Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdlBkHKS7t0

Over time we will begin to show how to tfix things, as well as highlighting some of the products we find work well, many of which are from vendors on this forum.

Vic

Vic, I for one am very pumped about this! It is one thing to read about it and another thing entirely to see it! Very excited to watch these every week.

P.S. Thanks, my wife will "love" you guys for extending my YouTube time per week which is already high. haha

In the spirit of trying to get maintenance information out a lttle sooner than my columns and books, we've decide to start publishing a 15 minute segment each Friday on Youtube. The thought being that those of you who may be headed out to the airport for some weekend maintenance or flying would take the time to poke around your own airplane for some of the things we are going to be showing you. After all, the weather isn't always conducive to flying and this might give you a reason to work on the plane. :)

We hope you like it. We certainly welcome your feedback, as well as topics that you might like to see us cover.

Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdlBkHKS7t0

Over time we will begin to show how to tfix things, as well as highlighting some of the products we find work well, many of which are from vendors on this forum.

Vic
Checked it out. Subscribed. Thank you for helping me understand the what and why, the "what the" is going to be interesting!

Did not know about the shrinking air filter. My first one was split with a V-Cut to fit and then RTV'd to seal. Immediately bought a new replacement, didn't like the look of it. Now I know why it was that way. Couldn't for the life of me understand why they did that. Now I know they didn't want to buy a new filter.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
I can tell in advance that the Base Leg channel will be very well subscribed and appreciated. Thanks for doing this.
Personally, I would love to see a video on each of the RV6 (and similar) series Service Bulletins. For example, Its one thing to read about the character and location of possible stabilizer cracks in the service bulletins and another thing actually seeing the cracks (and remedy) as an actual occurence.

Awesome

Very cool Vic and son! Nicely done and look forward to seeing more.
My main thought is you will inevitably be saving someones butt by providing this info. Good on you guys!

Thank you

Thanks Vic! No doubt there is a time commitment to making these videos not limited to shooting, editing, uploading, etc.

This wealth of knowledge is definitely worth something to each of the viewers. Please let us know how we can support the making of these videos (Patreon? etc). :)

Looking forward to learning and sharing!

Very nice. Subscribed.
You’re very natural in front of the camera.
Looking forward to future installments.

Base Leg Aviation

Just watched the video and now I’m a subscriber. Met Vic when he came up here to do a prebuy on an RV-7 my buddy was selling. Got a copy of his book and it is a must have if you own an RV. Looking forward to more of the same on his You tube channel

Perhaps you can do an episode of all the gotchas in the RV10 plans...... This is my 5th RV build and the most frustrating due to plans and instruction issues.

Subscribed !

Hughes 269

Hi Vic,

Great Video! I enjoyed it and may have learned a thing or two to look out for on my RV-8. I really enjoyed your Helicopter, I learned to fly in one in the Army down at Ft Rucker. If that's a TH-55, it's possible that I may have flown it.

Anyway I subscribed and look forward to more content.

:cool:

Last edited:
Watched and SUBSCRIBED to Vic's channel. Now awaiting the weekly dose of experimental aircraft knowledge.

Thanks Vic for documenting your experience and knowledge.

This is a great idea Vic. Thanks very much for the effort here. I'm subscribed!

Subscribed.
Has the plane with the FAB problems ever had a condition inspection? Or was it a setup?

Thanks!

Hey Vic. Great work. Also really nice to put a face to the name. I must have read a gazillion post you wrote. How nice to meet you.

Alright looking forward to the next one.

I subscribed before I watched the first episode. Great stuff.

So with the shrinking air filter, is horizontal shrinking okay as long as it is still flexible, has all of its height and is solidly in place? My first air filter shrunk in both directions and got brittle, the replacement is about 1/2" less diameter after a year.

Excellent. One nit, you’re showing off with the helicopter that you can walk & chew gum simultaneously! I can’t:-(

We’ll be watching & learning.

9A thanks

Vic you signed off on my 9A five years ago. In fact you and I are on my phone’s screen. This weekly video is so great a concept. The air filter issue has already come up. Replaced it. I did find the flimsy bottom to the airbox also came up. Replaced with thicker aluminum. Please keep this up. I don’t see how you have the hours to do it but keep it up

Subscribed.
Has the plane with the FAB problems ever had a condition inspection? Or was it a setup?

Nothing we will show you is a setup. We had 2 RV’S come in during the same week with both owners saying it was time to have someone else look at it. One was maintained for the past 9+ years by the builder. The other was non-builder owned. Both had major AirBox failures, Slick 500hr SB’s way overdue, and props way past Hartzell recommended overhaul, to just list a few of the items.

This is not to fault the owners. As I said in the video, none of the kit manufacturers teach you how to do maintenance, yet we all get a Repairman’s certificate.

Of the 3-5 we do every week, at least one or more are because the owner wants someone else to look at it. My hat is off to them. Truth-be-told, I do the same thing with mine. 😀

I’m not here to preach about how good we are. The whole purpose is to help everyone understand that there’s a very high probability that the issues we show you may even be on your airplane. We find too many of them so often that it would be naive to think they are only on the airplanes we see. I’ve probably looked at over 2000 AB aircraft, so the confidence level on discovering these items across the entire fleet is pretty high.

We all do this for fun, and the fun factor can really get dampened when we have a maintenance issue on trip. I know I appreciate it when someone gives me a heads-up on a potential problem.

For so long now I’ve been coming home and mentioning things we find, and I get hammered for not taking pictures and getting the word out. Rightfully so. Hopefully, forcing a regular commitment will change that, although it is difficult to take the time to capture it during the day. It’s a real change for me, but we are committed to making it work.

Thanks for all of the kind words in the forum here! Please get the word out to all of your fellow RV owners as much as you can. Like and subscribe, and it will help me stay committed. 😀

Vic

Base Leg - book and youtube

I recently got a couple books on building EA-Bs that were supposed to be the "Bible" and was a little disappointed.

Got my copy of Vic's book today and it's great. I skimmed it and am looking forward to a deep dive.

Attachments

• IMG_0833.jpeg
    IMG_0833.jpeg
    879.5 KB · Views: 90
Pretty Work! Thanks for putting in the time and energy to educate us. One peek is worth a thousand theories……..

Back