What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Deep front baggage removable bin???

gnuse

Well Known Member
Not sure how else to identify this, but I was wondering if another RV-8 owner has found a removable box/bin to put in the lower area of the front baggage compartment. I thought this would be an easy way to contain any oil, etc from a funnel or oil can that might be stored there. It seems it takes very little oil to find its way into the paper towels or windscreen cleaning cloth that is often stored there.

Not sure how else to identify this, but I was wondering if another RV-8 owner has found a removable box/bin to put in the lower area of the front baggage compartment. I thought this would be an easy way to contain any oil, etc from a funnel or oil can that might be stored there. It seems it takes very little oil to find its way into the paper towels or windscreen cleaning cloth that is often stored there.

I don't have a bin for the baggage compartment, but I store my oil supplies and windshield cleaning towels in separate quart-sized ziploc bags which helps keep things clean. I keep one of these in the plane for oil, which stores just fine in the ziploc bag along with a couple of dirty rags:

14-00024.jpg

Skylor

Last edited:
Yeah---definitely use a ziplock. AND--if you have any other squeezy bottles like shampoo or bug remover for your wings, make sure you burp the bottles first---THEN put them in the ziplock. I once landed in Dubai, and when I got to the hotel, my suitcase and clothing was full of shampoo. Took a coupla hours to clean everything. Airline cabins are pressurized to around 6700 ft, so if you're up at 9 or 10000---------------------------------:rolleyes:

I cut part of the top off a Tidy Cat plastic litter container and use it to store a couple quarts of oil, a funnel and some rags. It fits nicely in the lower area of the front baggage compartment on an RV8. Leaks, drips and dribbles are contained.

I have used a Rubbermaid rectangular container with latches on each end for 10 years with great success. Just stand on end and drop in. Also have small strap over top to keep in place in inverted or negative g?s

I thought that area was used by most for the battery, that's where I have mine. Maybe that's why I have such a nice CG range?

Back