What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Disable traffic alerts GRT HX?

mbuehler

I've tried toggling off all settings related to traffic in setup, but I can't seem to disable the "BEEEEEEP TRAFFIC!!" alert or the depiction on the map. When I get into busy airspace (BFI, SEA, SFO) the alerts are constant and make radio communication difficult as it drowns out ATC. Additionally the map becomes a useless sea of black traffic "hits" and all airspace and everything else is covered.

I like the METARs, Radar and everything else ADSB provides, but traffic alerts are far more a distraction than a help. 40+ audible alerts and a blacked out screen every time I go to land at Boeing is really annoying.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

I believe there are filters for both altitude and distance proximity for generating an alert on the GRT.

Larry

There is an altitude envelope and a radius. I set mine to +/- 3000 ft and 15 nm. anything outside that does not get displayed. you can restrict it more than that if you want.

Traffic alert

If it is the audio traffic alert that is your problem, just remove the audio traffic message. I never installed traffic or obstacles audio alert on my GRT HX units.

I wish there was a suppression button for these alerts. Only way I’ve found to shut Betty up is to disable the serial port :eek:

I’m installing a toggle switch... yuck

I'll take one more look through the menus, I may have missed the filtering options. A suppress or inhibit button like the other alerts have would be great. If I'm on the ground trying to copy a clearance I don't care about traffic! :)

I removed all the wav files for alerts, but it seems traffic's is built in and doesn't work from the USB drive folder.

Interesting idea on the toggle, that might be the way to go. At BFI we are all under the bravo at ~1200' and just a few miles from SEA and RNT. Not sure there is a filter narrow enough to block that, just being able to disable it outright may be the ticket.

Thanks everybody!

I'll take one more look through the menus, I may have missed the filtering options. A suppress or inhibit button like the other alerts have would be great. If I'm on the ground trying to copy a clearance I don't care about traffic! :)

I removed all the wav files for alerts, but it seems traffic's is built in and doesn't work from the USB drive folder.

Interesting idea on the toggle, that might be the way to go. At BFI we are all under the bravo at ~1200' and just a few miles from SEA and RNT. Not sure there is a filter narrow enough to block that, just being able to disable it outright may be the ticket.

Thanks everybody!

Play with the filters. Our airport is 8 miles from ORD and I have no real issues. Though I don't pick up an ADSb reception on the ground.

Larry

Adjust the volume of the traffic alerts so that you can hear them, but they're noticeably lower than your com radio. In the air, you'll hear them; on the ground copying clearances, your brain will ignore them.

Toggle or suppression is the only way for me. Try going for an hour flight with 4 other planes. No matter how quiet the volume is, the constant growl of ?Trrrrraaffic!? grates on my nerves.

Back