What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone familiar with Crow options?

Bullseye

Well Known Member
Hello, team VAF.

I?m trying to decide between the various Crow belt options.

Does anyone have any experience with both the ?standard? and the ?Pro Series? systems?
Standard:
9252b089-760c-496b-add9-4f6a30892dfa.jpeg

Pro Series:
9c3a8f10-4f40-43ee-b3bc-30805d709023.jpeg

The hardware looks black on the pro series, but the standard has a ?black anodized hardware? upgrade option.

33945e99-b3ef-479c-8257-ece0fba44b01.jpeg

Is there another difference? (The kam lock does look slightly different.)

Also, what are the adjusters available as an upgrade to the pro series? What do they do and is it worth the $70 upgrade?

f34f5f73-5fc4-4221-92dd-3cb0b5c0950b.jpeg

As always, thanks in advance.

Watch that you order the "tie" which is available for between the shoulder straps, mine fall off if I do not cross them in the back... edit... Hmmm, looking again, these might not coming from a single strap. Mine are on an -8 on which the straps are separate...

I just received and installed the standard RV6 2" Y belts in my Mustang2 yesterday. I went with the latch and hook military style, which I'm used to for military and civ aerobatic work. Its simple and easy to operate, as are the standard adjusters. I didnt see the point in all the extra cash, and now having the belts in hand and doing lots of sit and wiggle and adjusting, I still dont see the need. The stuff works well as is, but I get it - each to his own. FWIW careful if youve not flown or used 3" belts. I found them to be way too much belt for mild aerobatics; just down right uncomfortable and hot. Im planning lots of long hauling IFR stuff, so I just dont see the need for all that - its enough belt already in 2" 5pt (almost claustrophobic when cinched up good), and besides all the spam cans are just doing your basic 3pt car style....Again each to his own.

I did opt for the pads, but didnt realize they are sewn into place on the belts, and I'd opt out of that if I did it again. The pads will get dirty with sweat over time and no way to wash them. Velco on wrap around pads like for your standard car would be much better IMHO. When they finally get really nasty, I'll undo the stitching and go the car route.

Finally something to consider, you can buy them direct from Crow or from Spruce - either way theyre still made only when ordered and come direct from Crow. I bought mine from Spruce as they are doing a 5% discount for AOPA members. Its not a lot, but a penny saved is a penny earned.

Last edited:
The aluminium adjusters appear to be an alternative to having the short fabric tab to pull on when you want to loosen your belt. You can see the difference if you compare the "black anodized hardware option" photo above to the "adjuster" photo above. In one you can see the fabric tabs, in the other they are replaced with a curved aluminium flap.

I just ordered the standard ones from Spruce about a month ago. I just wanted to point out that in the pic below of mine the camlock is different than the one they show in their picture. It looks more like the one on the pro version. If you want any other pics just let me know.

20180908_082816 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I have the standard and they work well. You can ask them to leave off the CROW label on the pads if you prefer a cleaner look.

Cam lock

I just ordered a set from Fred. The cam lock without the lever is called the hex lock. He advised me to go with the cam lock with lever because of the weight. He said the hex lock is drastically heavier because of the steel construction. FWIW I ordered them without the sub belts and saved a couple bucks since they are going in a -10.

Last edited:
The newer camlocks are easier to insert the latches into. I opened mine up and cut down the springs slightly to make them work the same.

FWIW I ordered them without the sub belts and saved a couple bucks since they are going in a -10.

I went with the sub belts, only because they help keep the lap belts from being pulled up your hip by the shoulder belts. IOW they help keep the lap belts in position. As such, I just bolted mine to the front of the seat instead of to the floor etc and theyre not super snugged up tight as you would if you were flipping around serious. Just a bit of reverse tension....

The newer camlocks are easier to insert the latches into. I opened mine up and cut down the springs slightly to make them work the same.

Bob, having opened the camlocks could you say if it?s possible to change the factory setting for which latch remains attached to the camlock?

Back