What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Found stabilizer cracks per SB 14-01-31

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Got 'em on both sides, looking *exactly* like the pictures in the SB. RV-8, s/n 81002, about 500 hours.

Plane is not in its home hangar (15 minutes away), but is at another airport where my old hangar has not yet been taken (50 minutes away). Looks like it's going to stay there for a while...

In other news, both of the p-mags are back from inspection / repair, and the prop / governor seem to work well at 2,000 RPM (I'd been testing at 1800 RPM with more sluggish response). Great service from the p-mag folks!

Not a pre-punch

I wimped out and bought a flying airplane. According to the serial number, it's the second kit sold, and the construction photos seem to show lots of flanges without holes. Don't recall if it has the relief cutouts or not...

Ed,

My kit was #1285 and it did not have matched holes. I also didn't have the notches nor was instructed to make them. No cracks...sorry you found some!

Jim

Sorry Ed, I didn't pick that up on #2 kit. So that would me a non match drilled.

And WOW! JIM!!! F-84! F-4! F-15! And of course topped off with an RV-8 :D what a nice set of aircraft you have flown!

Back