What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's gascolator

docskj

Is the Van's gascolator supposed to have a screen? I disassembled mine after 6 hours of flying expecting to inspect a screen but all I find is a bowl. Looking at the old forums about gascolators I decided that they usually don't have screens but the product description on the Van's web site mentions a "simple disc screen. " What's really supposed to be in the "Van's gascolator?"

Piggy-backing on this thread...how does the bowl come out? I have the screws and mounting plate off, but I'm afraid to pull too hard downward on the bowl for fear of breaking something. Does it twist out, or pull straight down? TIA...

It pulls straight down but creates a vacuum when you pull down that makes it very difficult. To make easier, open drain on bottom of gascolator to relieve vacuum or slightly pressurize your fuel system via the boost pump but be carefull and be prepared to catch some fuel when the bowl comes off.

Chad,

It also helps to smear a little fuel lube on the "O" ring before you reassemble it.

Jim

...oh, and a further question about the Vans gascolator:

I'm planning to install one on the lower-right forward firewall of my RV-6. It has an IO-320 with an AFP FM-150 F/I system. This location would put it on the outlet side of the fuel pump. AFP tells me that the gascolator would need to be rated for 40 psi. Does anyone know the rated operating pressure for this unit? Are folks placing the gascolator on the outlet/pressure side of the fuel pump?

Thanks,

Rob
Ottawa

Are folks placing the gascolator on the outlet/pressure side of the fuel pump?
Yes, but only in the great white north because of legal issues and coriolis effect. Most of us ugly americans don't use no steenkin gascolator with injection.

P.S. You can tell my local weather by my posting frequency.

Back