What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reamer question

Jskyking

Well Known Member
Early in the fuselage plans it calls for reaming two different sized holes, .311 and .375. My question- will a straight shank hi speed steel chucking reamer with straight flutes do the job or do I need to pay the extra money, almost twice the price, for the cobalt version?

In terms of the supplier, it seems like Cleaveland or McMaster is the way to go.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks
Jt

Considering they are used about 10 times the straight chucking reamer is fine. You don't need cobalt reamers in these sizes. It is important that it be a reamer though, and not a regular bit.

For specialized drilling and reaming bits, also check out Pan American tool and Suncoast Precision Tools. I have used both of these places with good results and they have much wider variety of sizes and types available.

Reamers

MSC direct.com has a wide variety of reamers. The lowest price import is fine for what you want.
The .311 is .0015 under the nominal size while the .375 is "onsize" MSC has a wider variety of sizes. I ream all critical holes for AN6 to .373. Or ream to .375 and use NAS bolt for better fit. Depends on the application.
Use a drill press where practical and use a proper rotation speed. Standard machine shop practice is to drill 1/64" under the finished size and then ream to size. Generic information for aluminum or non heat treated steel except stainless.

Back