What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 elevator trim

RickAllen

Hi all, I’m just about to start on my tail kit and just found these old threads about replacing the kit supplied electric elevator trim with the Safety Trim System. The threads I found are over 10 years old. Is this still an issue with the current kits? Has Ray Allen improved their components?

Other things I noted are that there are no rudder cables in the tail kit. They must be in a later kit, maybe the fuselage kit? Also, the packing list has sub kit numbers 1 thru 10 but there is no sub kit 7 listed. When I called Van’s to order a few missing pieces of hardware I asked why there was no sub kit 7 listed and got a non answer to only expect what is on the packing list. Anybody else notice this on their packing list?

Hi all, I’m just about to start on my tail kit and just found these old threads about replacing the kit supplied electric elevator trim with the Safety Trim System. The threads I found are over 10 years old. Is this still an issue with the current kits? Has Ray Allen improved their components?

The kit doesn’t come with a trim controller, just the Ray Allen trim servo and cables. The Saftey Trim is a controller. Depending on if you go with an EFIS, it or a controller like it may or may not be necessary.

From the TCW website: Safety-Trim Intelligent Servo Controller (Safety-Trim) is an electronic speed control system for experimental aircraft. Safety-Trim provides the directional switching function as well as the adjustable speed control function needed to drive electric trim motors with a time limited operation of the trim servo motors that reduce the possibility of run-away trim and failure to operate conditions. Safety-Trim is an important safety feature that is short circuit proof and reverse polarity protected.

It provides an electrical relay to allow multiple inputs from 2 control sticks to be able to drive the Ray Allen servo. It also provides some safety functionality, like only allowing the servo to run for a few seconds and a reverse switch. Back in the day they were one of the first to provide this enhanced safety functionality over just relays. These days most of the efis manufactures incorporate this functionality, at least dynon and Advanced flight via their autopilot head. Vertical Power has this functionality in their box. I am sure the many others also do it.

But, It is not the servo that has the issue, but it is how you are going to control the servo. It is something you can worry about later on. Build the servo mounting and install the servo per the plans.

Thanks for the reply guys. You are correct, I see now that the kit doesn’t include the controller. It came with the servos. It also has an indicator and rocker switch that I probably won’t need. This is obviously down the road a good bit, just trying to do as much due diligence as I can. Thanks

If you happen to go with a Garmin G3X panel and auto pilot, the trim controller function is built into it as well. It has adjustable speed controller (based on airspeed) as well as a time limit function to assist in the event of a runaway trim. Would make the TCW controller redundant.

Last edited:
If you happen to go with a Garmin G3X panel and auto pilot, the trim controller function is built into it as well. It has adjustable speed controller (based on airspeed) as well as a time limit function to assist in the even of a runaway trim. Would make the TCW controller redundant.

Thanks Randy,
That’s exactly the kind of info I was looking for. It will be Garmin or similar.
I found an old list of must have upgrades and was hoping that alot of these items have been improved or otherwise taken care of since.

Last edited:
You're welcome!

Seeing the "end in mind" always helped motivate me during the build. Here's a pic of my panel that will hopefully inspire and motivate you during your build!

If you haven't decided on a shop to help build your panel (if you're going that route), I highly recommend Aerotronics. They were excellent.

Attachments

• IMG_2851.jpg
    IMG_2851.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 284
Back