What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Registration question

nedrose

I know this may be a bit off subject but I think I have an interesting question that could be very relevant to us. If you failed to renew your A/C registration and it is cancelled by the FAA, is your airworthiness certificate still valid? And, if you had an accident, how do you think the insurance companies would respond. I don't know if this has happened to anyone, but I think it could.

Insurance won't be a problem in my opinion as long as you can prove ownership interest. Airworthiness Certificate is what it is. It is the Registration they are monkeying with right now I think?

Interesting question.
You are flying with your AROW so...?
Probably someday soon they will change all this to fix this loophole.

Tj

Last edited:
91.203:
(2) An effective U.S. registration certificate issued to its owner or, for operation within the United States, the second duplicate copy (pink) of the Aircraft Registration Application as provided for in ?47.31(b), or a registration certificate issued under the laws of a foreign country.

They will deem the term effective to mean not cancelled I am sure.

But still wouldn't bother insurance under normal circumstances.

.. is my opinion, based on my experience with WAY too many claims.

Tj

I'm confused

I have never heard of having to renew your A/C registration. I've owned seven different airplanes! One Experimental Exhibition, and have never renewed anything except the insurance.

Aircraft Registration Expiration

Aircraft registered before 1 Oct 2010 must be re-registered. There is a table on the FAA website showing when each old registration expires, when the window for re-registering your aircraft is coming up etc. The conversion period is three years to update every registration in the database. See:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/reregistration/

Aircraft registered for the first time after 1 Oct 2010 are automatically registered under the new rules...so once registered/re-registered under the new system your registration is only valid for three years.

Best,
Mike

wow

Amazing I missed this new rule with all the aviation pubs I get. Sold my last plane in 2010 though. RV won't be ready for a couple more. May I say, as a former professional pilot I know very well how more paperwork plays into making life safer and better for us all!:rolleyes:

Back