What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windscreen fairing layup

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I can't find any information with search so this is a sure sign I am the only one worried about this.

In laying up the fairing over the canopy skirt; should I tape up the canopy and skirt with several layers of tape so that when the faring is cured and the tape removed there would be no rubbing surfaces?

My worry is if I layup the fairing right on the canopy and skirt that I will end up with areas that rub and I have seen skirts that chip paint at the part that slides under the fairing. The instructions and websites I have read show everyone just laying up on the canopy and skirt with just some mold release or packing tape.

Just curious, I have the lower windshield layup done and need to start on the roll bar part.

One layer of packing tape

Is what I used, I wanted a fairly snug fit and in 200 hours I haven't noticed any rubbing. I also rigged up some rope inside my cockpit that connected to my slider out the back of the tailcone. The end of the rope I tied to the wall. The slider was stuck together so I used this to assist in popping it open.

Randy 8A

Electrical tape

I used three layers of electrical tape which gave me a gap of 0.6mm between the canopy and fairing. (Electrical tape doesn?t leave a sticky residue on the canopy once it is removed) I was also worried about the surfaces rubbing so decided to build the gap in. Not flying yet so can?t say if 0.6mm is enough.

I also used the rope as Randy suggests to pop the canopy open once the epoxy has set. Without it I don?t think I would have been able to open it!

Hope this helps.

Packing tape

I used packing tape. I also wanted a tight fit. A sharpened credit card is enough to break the surface tension between the cured resin and the packing tape. Good luck. Tim

Nemo,

I did like Guy, used electrical tape.

Use YELLOW as a base tape and GREEN over the YELLOW. After using a Hotel Key ( Tim used a sharpen credit card) I sanded down the edge.

If I sanded to close the GREEN tape would turn into the YELLOW tape and I would not hit the plexiglas.

Of course, not my idea, I good friend did it this way and seemed to work out fine.

Good Luck!

Great inputs

Thanks for all the inputs, Randy I like the rope idea, it is a great just in case, if stick a little too much.

Cheers

Layers of cloth

How may layers of cloth did you guys use on the upper part of the windscreen fairing? I am thinking 6 would be good I have some 4" tape and some 2" tape that I intend to use and just cut one side to the width that I want and leave the nice edge for the windscreen side.

Cheers

tapes in different colours

I'm with John, it's a good idea that I used on mine.

4 layers worked well for me but cloth thickness is the factor

ciao

Last edited:
Hi Mike

I used 6 layers of 2" (6oz) tape and am pleased that the lip is pretty rigid - I've seen some aircraft where this is pretty flimsy. Here is my log entry my result is not the best in the world but - it's good enough - "Better is the enemy of good enough"

I'm just waiting for paperwork, good weather and availability of my test pilot and mine is ready to be unleashed - you're not too far away Mike.

Regards

Bob Ellis
www.rv-8.co.uk

I used two layers glass, one layer carbon fiber, and two more glass layers.

Way back, but 6 oz seems right. Anyway, it is very stiff due to the carbon.

That idea came from Brian Denk way way back, and I have been very happy with the strength over 7 years and 450 hours

cheers

Lay up on windshield

Either I misread the instructions or did my layup totally different? I was under the imperssion that the tape was put at the "edge" of the fiberglass layup so when you were sanding the upper edge you did not "sand" your plexiglass windshield. I sanded and roughed up the plexiglass up to the height I was going to lay my fiberglass so it would stick tightly to the windshield. But before I laid it up, I painted a similar 2" flat black paint line on the inside of the windshield to also ack as a guide when laying it up.

Allan Stern
Little Miss Kitty
72 hrs flying

Fairingless?

What would you think about eliminating this fairing?

My canopy to wind screen fit is tight enough to seal with rubber moulding.

Pros: no more glass and epoxy work, won't break off when accidentally used as a support, not in the way of the canopy for emergency egres, reduced risk of messing up the plexiglas, smoother aero surfaces, did I mention no more glass and epoxy work.

Con: not per the plans, leakage possible, latching canopy more critical?

Love to see others experiences, I've read post about flying with the canopy open and it appears it wants to stay shut and NOT get sucked up and gone.

No Fairing

What would you think about eliminating this fairing?

My canopy to wind screen fit is tight enough to seal with rubber moulding.

Pros: no more glass and epoxy work, won't break off when accidentally used as a support, not in the way of the canopy for emergency egres, reduced risk of messing up the plexiglas, smoother aero surfaces, did I mention no more glass and epoxy work.

Con: not per the plans, leakage possible, latching canopy more critical?

Love to see others experiences, I've read post about flying with the canopy open and it appears it wants to stay shut and NOT get sucked up and gone.

My windscreen to canopy fit was not very tight so this was not an option for me. But I must say after gluing on the windscreen, it is tough as nails. I doubt one would have any issues flying it with no glass fairing.

Long term the elements might start to deteriorate the glue if not covered in some way.

Cheers

Mike

Fairingless

Agree with Mike-if you used Sikaflex you'll need to cover it to protect it from UV. Sikaflex 295UV is UV resistant-not UV proof. It will deteriorate if left unprotected.

This can be done with another type of coating/covering (i.e. paint, tape, etc.) but the canopy fairing is light, works well and will also help keep rain out of the cockpit when on the ground.

Best,
Mike

I can't find any information with search so this is a sure sign I am the only one worried about this.

In laying up the fairing over the canopy skirt; should I tape up the canopy and skirt with several layers of tape so that when the faring is cured and the tape removed there would be no rubbing surfaces?

My worry is if I layup the fairing right on the canopy and skirt that I will end up with areas that rub and I have seen skirts that chip paint at the part that slides under the fairing. The instructions and websites I have read show everyone just laying up on the canopy and skirt with just some mold release or packing tape.

Just curious, I have the lower windshield layup done and need to start on the roll bar part.

Mike,
I followed Marshalls recomendation of 2 layers glass,1 layer carbon fiber,2 layers glass,I used 1 layer of packing tape and covered with Johnsons Paste wax,the canopy to fairing fit is great and there were no problems in releasing the canopy to faring intersection when cured.
Best,
Ronald

Back