What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans engine primer kit

OKAV8r

Well Known Member
For anyone that has purchased the engine primer system 2 cylinder kit from Vans...
Does it include the nozzles?

Primer kit

I recollect it was a complete kit. However, support the copper line in as many places as possible and have a couple of loops in it too between the firewall and the engine.
Mine broke twice before I had it properly supported. Been fine since. I rarely need it to start but nice to have it there for the day when I do. A lot of builders will say you do not need it. It is like primer wars. Personal choice. When I preflight I use my flashlight through the oil flap and pay special attention to the copper line as much as you can see. When the upper cowl is off, I check it diligently.
This is on a 7a

have one installed on my baby... gotta say, would not install one myself.
Basically never used it since a couple of throttle movements sprays enough fuel for the engine to always start on the 2nd blade. Lest I forget to switch the ignition to on :eek:

Careful

There are other recent threads on this..the primer system works great. Pumping the throttle works great..EXCEPT, that is shooting fuel straight up from the carb, and a failed start can lead to airbox/engine fire. The primer system puts the fuel into the combustion chamber where it belongs. I have experienced said fire in a Cessna 150, and its no bueno. I have the VANs electric solenoid system on my -4, and it has been flawless.

Back