What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto pilot install in finished rv-8

Considering I don't have the time to build one from scratch as much as I want to, had to buy a flying one which I'm about to take delivery on. Has got many good options except for auto pilot. My question is how hard is it to have one installed? Will I need to drill out rivets and open skin to get the job done? Thanks in advance.

David

David:

I installed a TruTrak ADI Pilot II in my RV-8 after it was flying, so my comments relate to that experience. Yes you will need to drill out some rivets (not many) at the bell crank assembly to mount the pitch servo and you will need to pull the forward floor (screwed in) to access the control yoke torque tube for the roll servo. It's not that bad but anytime you add something like this to a finished aircraft, it will take some uncomfortable positions to get it done. You might prep by taking yoga classes ;). If I recall correctly, I also pulled the floor out (held down with soft rivets) in order to route the cable the way I wanted to although (depending on how you route the cable for the pitch servo) you might be able to get away without doing this. The floor rivets come out quickly, so I suggest doing this. (I'm assuming the builder riveted the floor per Van's plans.

Chris

Pitch Servo

Just one comment to add: the bellcrank ribs were modified in the -1 pre-punched RV8 kits:

The pitch bellcrank now mounts between pre-formed angles on the ribs vs. the riveted assembly previously used.

As a result, the bracket kit provided for the pitch servo has changed and should be an easier add-on for the newer style kits...don't think you'd need to drill out any rivets for the pitch servo if you have a -1 model.

I routed the harness for the pitch servo under the left cockpit rail; if this wiring path is used you won't need to open up the entire floor, just the area under the pilot's seat and the footwells...just some screws.

Tru-Trak has the drawings for the pitch and roll servo install on their website at:

http://www.trutrakap.com/docs.html

Other brands are similar.

Good luck,
Mike

I too added a TruTrak AP to a flying RV-8. (a third hand DFC-250). I have to drill out rivets for the pitch servo bracket in the tail to install that bracket (my RV-8's kit was from 2005). I like the idea of running the pitch server wiring under the left or right gunnel but in my case, I ran it down the tunnel under the seats and floor pan. It was not too difficult and since I already had to have the front seat out and the baggage floor out, I was already 70%.

Including the work for pitot-static, wire harness, server install, head unit install (I did not have a pre-existing hole to re-use), I spent three weekends from start to finish (and no crazy long days).

In addition to gaining an autopilot, I learned a lot about various systems in the airplane. I would definitely do it again.

One suggestion - I recommend putting all the wires into the wire harness even if you are not planning to connect them all up (eg, audio out for alerts, etc.). Just roll up the unused wires and tie-wrap them. Its easier to include those wires now than to add them in later if you decide you want them.

Last edited:
Dynon install

I installed a SkyView with autopilot servos in the fall of 2011. The roll servo took about 2 hours, mostly spent test fitting and making sure everything was right. Then a couple of hours running a tube in the wing and then running wires to the cockpit to hook into SkyView. Nothing very difficult and the Dynon kit made it easy.

The pitch servo was much more involved. As mentioned by others some rivets had to be drilled out to replace the bellcrank mount with a new mount. The new mounts were not quite the correct length but Dynon had already designed and made a corrected design and shipped the new ones to me free.

Since the ADAHRS was installed behind the baggage compartment too, the only wiring required was a y-connector to join the SkyView network plus power, ground and disconnect wires, which I ran with the network cables from the ADAHRS.

So no sheet metal work other than removing screws and panels, some riveting and some wiring. I flew my 8 for about 350 hours often on long cross country flights and now have 10 hours with an autopilot. It was well worth the effort to have a 2 axis autopilot. I think it will be safer because I can turn over the flying to the AP and keep my head up and watching for traffic. It is also less tiring on long flights which also improves safety.

The roll servo for a Dynon installs in the wing, not the belly. Should be a pretty straightforward install, but crawling in the tail isn't real fun.

David

what it really comes down to though is a combination of skill/experience working on aircraft, time available, patience, and money.

Looks like It's much less involved then I thought it would be. Not easy,not hard. Just need the time and patience as Jason mentioned. I'm looking forward to the challenge. Thanks for all the info everyone.

Back