What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery Decisions

UH1CW2

Well Known Member
I am running a 320 Lycoming with 9:1 pistons. In the last 12 years I have gone through 3 Odyssey 920's and 2 Concord 35AXC. The batteries last about 2.2 years each. I just purchased a EarthX 900 battery and the Optima Charger. Is there a better choice for batteries that may last longer than 3 years? I am hoping the earthX will last at least 4 years due to the higher cost.

I should mention that 5 of those years were in Mississippi and the other 7 in Michigan. So it doesn't seem to matter what the climate is like. Who has had good luck with battery's and what types did you use?

Considering the rate you are going through batteries, I suggest you have a problem with your charging system, how you use a battery charger, or both.

I run two PC-625 batteries. I replace one every three years (so the batteries go for six years). At six years the pulled battery goes into the lawn tractor or a neighbor’s John Deer for a few more years. I never use a battery charger, battery minder, battery optimizer or any other such charging device.

For the few times I do hangar flying I connect a 30 amp regulated power supply to the battery and run the system at the same 14.2vdc that the alternator puts out, and disconnect it when done. On the one occasion that I abused a battery (left a master on) I replaced it. Once a battery is abused it is now of unknown reserve capacity - so not allowed in my plane.

Carl

I had great experience with a Yuasa GYZ32L battery in another aircraft. I will soon switch to the GYZ20HL in my RV6. 320CCA should be plenty. About 15 lbs.

Just about all the RV guys at our airport have switched over to Apex batteries that are $40 each. The ones that went from PC680 were impressed. AT $40 a battery I planned to just put a new one in every annual but have 2 years on 1st one so far without any issues.

I do keep spares on the shelf for everyone, but so far none of us have been let down at all.

Friend of mine across the taxiway is running two of the Lippo's and had one go dead after 3 months. I mean DEAD fast. Not like a lead acid battery that usually slowly dies. It was dead in minutes. He's running dual electronic ignitions. Not good. Those things are quite spendy to die in minutes. Internal short he said.
Something to consider. I'm 2 running lead acid. One PC680 and a small Yausu for back up.
Art

Just about all the RV guys at our airport have switched over to Apex batteries that are $40 each. The ones that went from PC680 were impressed. AT $40 a battery I planned to just put a new one in every annual but have 2 years on 1st one so far without any issues.

I do keep spares on the shelf for everyone, but so far none of us have been let down at all.

Which battery is that?

Last edited:
Which battery is that?

https://www.apexbattery.com/apex-battery-apx12220-12-volt-22-ah-battery.html

apx12220_front_1_3.jpg

Plus one for "Apex"

Those sealed lead acid batteries come in different flavors, such as Panasonic, Universal, and many others. I've used these in my RV-8 and use 2 of them in my RV-10. They are available at ACE hardware for $49 or you can get them from Amazon if you want to support a small business killer. Type in 18amp hour sealed lead acid battery and a schmorgasboard of choices will come up.
In any case, its the same old technology no matter which brand you choose.
Mine last 5 years and are still good for another five in various vehicles.
BTW: One is enough to start an IO 540 at 8:1 comp., I just happen to like 2 batteries on board.

Lighter battery - more constraints!

I removed the DCM0035 battery from my RV6A last weekend. This is not a battery designed for starting an engine. It’s weight: 24 lbs.

I installed a WPX20H-BS (similar to Yuasa YTX-20-BS) which weight 14 lbs... My empty weight is now 10 lbs less with that change.

The engine now starts much better with the 310 CCA battery. However, I ran the W&B calculations and in the most rear scenario, I am now penalized by 20 lbs in the baggage compartment; seems there is a downside to weight reduction!

Be sure to get an EarthX approved charger and you'll be quite happy with the weight savings. You could have stepped down to the 680 or 680C and been just as happy with the cranking power.

If mounted inside, be sure to mount it in their vented case.

I am running a 320 Lycoming with 9:1 pistons. In the last 12 years I have gone through 3 Odyssey 920's and 2 Concord 35AXC. The batteries last about 2.2 years each. I just purchased a EarthX 900 battery and the Optima Charger. Is there a better choice for batteries that may last longer than 3 years? I am hoping the earthX will last at least 4 years due to the higher cost.

If you're having start issues maybe it time for a new starter/contactors/etc.

Raymo, The WPX20H-BS is not an EarthX nor a Lithium battery. It is an AGM battery made for Harley-Davidson bikes... Since it is designed to start engines, it starts much better than other AGMs that are designed to be in a UPS or an electric powered device.

This said, I will install an auxiliary battery soon (it is ordered). That will be a CanBat LiFePo battery 12V, 9AH that weight under 2 pounds. In my previous aircraft, I was using a DakotaLithium 10AH for the same purpose. It has to be isolated from the main bus as we want to control charging voltage and current. To this effect, I use an adjustable Step up / Step down buck boost converter.

I can’t find the Apex 12220 anymore. Did they quit making it?

Back