What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Tip issue

mndless

Curious question.

Van's, shipped me a couple to parts (903 and 904's) for the elevator wing tips. These parts had been previously fluted and dimpled. They did not have the customary blue plastic protective coating. Not really concerned about that, but I have spend a lot of time trying to get them to fit, and cannot.

Given the fluting and dimpling in them, it 'looks' like maybe they had been worked on by another builder and returned to vans previously? Already fluted and dimpled? surely they aren't shipped that way as a standard.

has anyone else received elevator wing tip parts fluted and dimpled from the factory?? Anyone else have issues with them aligning with the holes in 913??

Attachments

• IMG_3607.JPEG
    IMG_3607.JPEG
    252.7 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Yes, mine were like that as well. Seemed weird but I got them to fit. They were fluted for sure but I don’t remember if they were dimpled.

Curious question.

Van's, shipped me a couple to parts (903 and 904's) for the elevator wing tips. These parts had been previously fluted and dimpled. They did not have the customary blue plastic protective coating. Not really concerned about that, but I have spend a lot of time trying to get them to fit, and cannot.

Given the fluting and dimpling in them, it 'looks' like maybe they had been worked on by another builder and returned to vans previously? Already fluted and dimpled? surely they aren't shipped that way as a standard.

has anyone else received elevator wing tip parts fluted and dimpled from the factory?? Anyone else have issues with them aligning with the holes in 913??

I had the exact same thoughts when I saw those parts a few months ago.
They are not used. Vans needs to bend them then heat treat. Hence the missing blue plastic. One of them ,can’t remember which is also a bit wonky in the middle because that is where you have 2 skins overlapping. Trust me they will work. I just finished the tips a few weeks ago.

Cheers
Keith

I can echo Keith's answer as well. I asked the same thing when I was at that point to Van's. They responded with a couple pictures showing a stack enough for around 10, RV-10's, all, peeled and pre-prepped as you describe, along with describing they are supposed to be that way. There is a funky 'joggle' on one of them that might be part of the reason too.

Thanks,
Lance

Yep that’s normal. That part of the elevator is unbelievably frustrating to get to line up. I worked hours on them including reordering one of them and was never 100% happy with them but they seemed to turn out ok after riveting.

Yup!

I just finished riveting all of that together. There's no way I am OCD!!! I'm not!

But, I was really bothered by the lack of perfect alignment when the riveting was done.

As I recall, some of the dimples were done.

Yeah, this may have been one of the hardest things to do "right". I recall having to use multiple vices and clamps to try to line everything up correctly, since fluting can cause small bends in unintended directions. Later, I had to use my entire body weight to try to pull everything a bit straighter. Also found myself grinding a bit of the edges away to leave clearance with the rest of the stabilizer. The adverse bends in the parts due to fluting does lead to a bit of contact unless you really get it straight early.

Thanks for the reply's. I have spent a few days 'thinking' about this. Sterling, at Van's, gave me a reply that initially I did not understand... one of those things that just doesn't make any sense... but, that is probably the case for a lot of what we do.. :)

Going to spend another couple of days thinking about how to tackle this... but, I do now understand the approach and the objective...

Great appreciate the input.

T

Yup!

I just finished riveting all of that together. There's no way I am OCD!!! I'm not!

But, I was really bothered by the lack of perfect alignment when the riveting was done.

As I recall, some of the dimples were done.

yep.. I know what you mean :)

Back